Hearth.com meetup Party (lowel,ma) - Save the date!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooserider

Mod Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006
Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
After talking it over with the GF, we are going to propose SATURDAY, JULY 28 for a New England and surrounding regions "Hearth Party" at our home...

We have a pool... :coolsmile:

We have a BBQ... :coolcheese:

We can fry turkeys... :gulp:

We can play with toys.... :coolgrin:

We can drink home brewed mead (AFTER we are done playing with toys! :coolsmirk: ) (Or other beverages if people bring them...)

Probably start around noon, go until...

Aside from the mead and the turkey, pot luck contributions for the feasting requested....

No special "projects" but I will probably pick peoples brains for home improvement suggestions...

RSVP for directions... (Our sneaky way of finding out how many to plan for.... :cheese: )

If people want to / need to crash we can probably find some floor space to stick our air mattress and sleeping bag pads for the night. Definitely have tent space in the yard. (We are going to be hosting another gathering for the Libertarian Party of MA on Sunday, if you want to make a weekend of it...)

Gooserider

COOL-I was stationed at Devens in the 70s and did what they call a grand tattoo in the Lowell Stadium with the flags and torches etc. Lived off post in Ayer, and remember Leominster, Fitchburg ??? Shirley etc, Would love to see the area again!

Even though I'll be down in Virginia then, I'm going to write it on the calendar and see if I can't make it up anyway. It'll be a hell of a ride, but I'll stop and grab the wife and a tent and have a good old time with ya'll.

I'm gonna pencil it in for now......(considering I'm thinking of nothing but my daughters wedding in late June)...........

If all goes well, I will be renting a house in Newport at the time and/or back and forth from here - so that may work out....on the way to or from...

Being a Libertarian myself, I would never attend a political meeting as doing so would make me not libertarian any more (see: I would not want to be a member of any club which would have me as a member)..... but I do donate to antiwar.com (a libertarian news site).

Sounds great Corie, I look forward to meeting you and your S.O....

Craig, the LP thing is a mix of business and pleasure - we will be doing a State Committee meeting first (the GF and I are both on the SC, so it's our turn to host) followed by a social gathering after. Could be a chance to talk to folks about the advantages of voluntarily burning wood. It is also likely that Proffessor George Phillies, one of the leading LP candidates for president will be there (Note that George is also currently the state party chair...)

Gooserider

Bump....

Do you think a moderator could make this thread a "temporary sticky" until the day? It would help to keep it visible...

I opened the pool yesterday - gads how I hate "leaf tea"... I will probably have to go out and backwash the filter in a bit, and repeat once or twice more to get the water looking clear, then I can get it tested to see what else it needs.

I did find I have a problem with roots - something has managed to grow roots under the concrete pool deck and they are coming out in between the underside of the cement edge of the pool and the tile border (This is an in-ground gunnite pool, probably about 20-25 years old)

Any "pool guru's" in the house with an idea about what to do?

Gooserider

Corie said:
Even though I'll be down in Virginia then, I'm going to write it on the calendar and see if I can't make it up anyway. It'll be a hell of a ride, but I'll stop and grab the wife and a tent and have a good old time with ya'll.

WIFE!??????!!!!!!????? Is there something you aren't telling us?

Webmaster said:
I will be renting a house in Newport at the time

Excellent... I may finally get to meet Craig! I'll be staying in Newport at the same time, at a friend's place on Indian Ave, just past 3rd beach on the water... Maybe we should meet for dinner at the New York Yacht Club... if you'll allow yourself to walk into the place :coolsmile: (ahhh yes, Mike sits back, takes a sip of his dark-n-stormy, and pictures Craig sitting in the very lair of the capitalist conspiracy while he slowly chews his own arm off)

Webmaster said:
Being a Libertarian myself, I would never attend a political meeting...

Funny, I've never seen you at any of the Libertarian party meetings or events... :zip:

-- Mike

PS - I'd love to come up to Lowell, but don't have a chance of making it there... have some mead for me.

I regularly visit the enemy in Hilton Head (Wexford, where my folks have a place). Played tennis with lots of military dudes and ceo's there a few weeks ago. It's always good to keep track of the rich and famous. Actually, there are some fellow sailors (or should I say Yachters) in the Hearth industry. I think the Prez of Woodstock sails, as does one of my hearth industry web developer cohorts... I think the Pilgrim Fireplace Equipment dudes also sail in SF Bay.

Actually.....and you heard it here first (and I will probably erase it)...... My dad is a car buff and has recently owned Bentlys and Rolls - I guess that puts me firmly in the capitalist pig camp. However, I refused when he wanted to sell me them! Back when he used to work for me at my shop, he'd park the thing out front....and customers would love it! They would buy from us no questions asked, since they assumed we didn't really need to make money - so we'd do right by them. Truth be told, my dad bought it used for 12K.

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the lap of luxury. However, where I draw the line is when a bunch of servants are standing close by...or, when the guys break out cigars.

I can see it now - one day at the Yacht club, and the next in Lowell with a Libertarian BBQ, and moonshine... as they say, I am "in" it, but not "of" it.

Webmaster said:
I can see it now - one day at the Yacht club, and the next in Lowell with a Libertarian BBQ, and moonshine... as they say, I am "in" it, but not "of" it.

Sorry to disappoint, but I have no desire to meet the "rich and famous" at Club Fed :coolgrin: , so all my home brew is legal, natural fermentation only, no distilling or jacking. (I also don't sell, though I've been offered money for it on occasion) Moonshine is distilled, so I don't go there, no matter how much I enjoy a good single malt...

If anyone wants to fire up a cigar, I won't object (it discourages the mosquitoes) but will insist that it be outside...

Gooserider

Elk, you and your family are welcome at the party, regardless of whether you are on the board or not... Craig may be in charge of the board, but I'm running THIS party, and as far as I'm concerned you are on the invited guest list regardless of your status on the board....

Gooserider

Progress is progressing - the pool is FINALLY swimmable, albeit "refreshing" in the extreme... :bug: Going off the diving board at the moment makes one truly regret the concept of gravity. It should be better by July. Now all we have to do is shovel out the rest of the house...

Gooserider

Wow, wonderful idea for meeting. Gotta see if I am scheduled to be on-call that day. Would love to come. OMG. Mead, drink a few of those, and you'll have visions of dead realtives that you never meet. That stuff is strong. Hey what an better time to play my favorite game: "betcha can't burn that in a pellet stove." (no offense pellet burners) Even better, we can do a variation on it: "betcha can't burn that in your new shiny stainless LP Gas grill" LOL

Goose, my official notice that I hope to be able to join you Sat 28th. Thanks for providing this opportunity. and Elk, if you are out there, hope to see you posting soon. I miss your stove wisdom, mis-spellins, VC promotin ways. Come back and play!!

jpl1nh said:
Goose, my official notice that I hope to be able to join you Sat 28th. Thanks for providing this opportunity. and Elk, if you are out there, hope to see you posting soon. I miss your stove wisdom, mis-spellins, VC promotin ways. Come back and play!!

Great, look forward to seeing you

Gooserider

Sorry guys/gals. Don't think I'm going to make it. Just calculated how long it will take to hitch-hike back and I'm short about two weeks. Really sorry about my poor planning, but you all have a great time and cook some turkey for the home of the first commercial growers.

Well, time is getting closer, thought I'd bring this up again and fill folks in on some more details...

Time - I'm figuring to ask folks to show up starting around noonish - If you get here earlier you may get drafted into the last minute prep and setup drill... :lol:

Pot-luck -

I plan on dunking the turkey around 4:00, means it will be done around 5:00. I have a home made "water tank" grill that can be setup as a smoker if I get requests for it, and a Weber (both are charcoal fueled) that we can fireup whenever folks want to cook other stuff. We have the usual kitchen facilities, let us know if you need oven space or a stove burner...

Contributions to the feasting are welcome and requested. The GF and I are both Low-carb lifestyle folks, so if you plan on bringing breads, starchy stuff, deserts, etc., we will ask you to take any leftovers home with you :) We like to ask folks to put signs on things saying what's in them (especially if not obvious) for the benefit of those with dietary restrictions and food allergies - if you are on a restricted diet, I suggest bringing something you know you can eat. If you post your restriction here, I'll encourage others to plan around it if that's practical.

In the interest of planning what will be on the table and avoiding duplicates, please post what you'd like to bring in this thread so we know what everyone is planning - Earliest posts get best pick of the menu...

"Toys" - bring them along for "Show and Tell" if you like. :coolgrin: I'm planning to get some extra log length, and will have plenty of 18" long rounds to demo with... I can supply 20A 110v AC via 12G extension cords and also have a 220v 50A welding outlet. I'll also have straight gas and some 50:1 chainsaw mix and bar oil on hand.
Note that I believe that booze and toys don't mix, so I will insist that toys be put away before I break out the mead:exclaim:

Pool - It is working well, bring a suit of some sort if you want to swim. It's in-ground, and has about an 8' deep end, w/ diving board, gets down to about 3' at the shallow end.

Kids - Are very welcome, but the house isn't "child proofed" and the pool is accessible. (if not housebroken, we will ask that they wear "swimmer pampers" in the pool) IOW - parents are responsible...

Location - I'll post exact location and directions later, but for planning, we are within a few miles of the intersection of Routes 3 and 495, just south of Lowell, Mass.

Any other questions, feel free to ask...

Gooserider

Webmaster said:
What musical instruments are there?
Rain or shine?

We have a piano, it doesn't get played alot, but last time we checked it was in pretty good tune. I also have 3 different size djembes (hand drums) and I think there is a guitar in the basement somewheres...

I'm planning on rain or shine, though it will obviously be more fun in the shine... If it's raining we presumably will drag the grills and turkey fryer onto the back porch (Not the safest thing, but we've done it before...) and spend less time playing with toys.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Webmaster said:
Rain or shine?

We have a piano, it doesn't get played alot, but last time we checked it was in pretty good tune. I also have 3 different size djembes (hand drums) and I think there is a guitar in the basement somewheres...

I'm planning on rain or shine, though it will obviously be more fun in the shine... If it's raining we presumably will drag the grills and turkey fryer onto the back porch (Not the safest thing, but we've done it before...) and spend less time playing with toys.

Gooserider
Awww..Come on, no splitters, chainsaws and mauls just cause its on your back porch??!! %-P

jpl1nh said:
Gooserider said:
Webmaster said:
Rain or shine?

Gooserider
Awww..Come on, no splitters, chainsaws and mauls just cause its on your back porch??!! %-P

No objection in principle, but it would get a bit cramped, and I need the porch for the Libertarian Party party we are going to be hosting on Sunday... :coolsmile: I may try to get the garage cleaned out if I can find a big enough bulldozer, but that would still be a bit cramped unless we staged stuff outside and just brought the item being tested in each time...

Gooserider

Brought in some party supplies yesterday...

I wasn't sure I'd have enough stuff for people to play with, so I thought I'd get a bit more stuff to test the toys on... This is the load arriving

More in the next...

Attachments

• Arriving1.jpg
    Arriving1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 260
  • arriving2.jpg
    arriving2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 286
The guy sure looks like he is having fun up there, I wouldn't mind learning how to work one of those rigs!

He starts out with some small stuff,

Then a bit bigger

Attachments

• a_few_small_sticks.jpg
    a_few_small_sticks.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 245
  • little-bigger.jpg
    little-bigger.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 244
And then there was the BIG BERTHA log - that one will be a challenge for sure!

So this is the pile of new logs, plus my stack of rounds, some of which I'll be tackling between now and the party, but I'll save a few...

Attachments

• big_bertha.jpg
    big_bertha.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 251
  • pile+rounds.jpg
    pile+rounds.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 250
Status
Not open for further replies.