Hearth.com meetup Party (lowel,ma) - Save the date!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple more shots of the pile

(BTW, this was a $50 load - the guy is a local tree service, and the $50 is for whatever he has on the end of the truck at the end of the day delivered to you instead of going back to his yard, which seems like a good deal to me, so far I think its all been red and white oak, which is nothing to complain about!)

Gooserider

Attachments

• pile2.jpg
    pile2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 254
  • pile-end.jpg
    pile-end.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 248
That's a heck of a deal for 50 bucks, Goose!!! By chance does he work out on the western side of the state?

Harley said:
That's a heck of a deal for 50 bucks, Goose!!! By chance does he work out on the western side of the state?

Sorry, far as I know he's just a local guy that works the immediate area. Doesn't even advertise in the "off brand" phone books. I just went through the Lowell area Yellow Pages and called everyone listed under "Tree Services" and asked for a price on a load of log length, and this guy was by far the best deal. The others were asking around $300-350 for a full load on that size truck. I'd estimate his load was between 1/2 and 1/3 of what the truck could carry, so it is still way under his competition.

Gooserider

Hi Goose,
Been keeping this in mind, but I'm not sure I can make it. I'm taking a timber framing class in Georgetown that day... May be able to swing by aftwerwards though.

Nice score on the log length!!!!!!! Next time I need a load, I'll be sure and ask for that guy's number !!!

Turner-n-Burner said:
Hi Goose,
Been keeping this in mind, but I'm not sure I can make it. I'm taking a timber framing class in Georgetown that day... May be able to swing by aftwerwards though.

Nice score on the log length!!!!!!! Next time I need a load, I'll be sure and ask for that guy's number !!!

Sorry if you can't make it for the main part of the party, but likely there will still be food and mead left, so you'd be welcome to swing by at the end of class. It does sound like a good class, hope you enjoy yourself and learn a lot.

Everyone else - I need to hear from folks soon - it's only a few more weeks, and I need to know who's coming so I can make sure there's to much food...

Gooserider

Making progress on getting ready - had a friend come by today with his pressure washer - cleaned up all around the pool deck, front steps and all the outside furniture. Rebuilt the top of the picnic table w/ new 2 x 8 PT lumber, If Hogz can talk someone into doing a table dance, the table is now strong enough... ;-P

Still looking for RSVPS - So far we have;
Sounds like Elk will be here, Not sure about Mrs. Elk, or what sort of food. Should have a stove, maybe his electric splitter.
jpl1nh, bringing vegetables.
My friend Tim (who's been helping me with a bunch of projects, including the pressure washing) and his 10 yr old son Cody - probably bringing something to fry in the turkey pot after the turkey is done.
Web and Webwidow - Tentative

Other food that we will be providing:
Deep Fried Turkey
Burgers and dogs - BYOB (Bring Your Own Bun - as low carbers we don't do bread...)
Home - brewed Mead (honey wine) in lots of flavors
Probably an assortment of diet sodas, ice tea, etc... plenty of honey available to sweeten things as needed

We'll provide the paper goods, cups, etc.

So far, nobody has signed up for:
Salads
Beer (though I have some well aged home brew)
Deserts
Non-Diet sodas or other non-alcoholic drinks
?????

Corie^2 - you folks said you might be making it - hows it look? (If you need to, stuff Englander Mike in the trunk and bring him along.... :coolsmirk: ) We're counting on you for a LeverAxe demo :exclaim:

hardwood715, Harley, Mike Wilson, sstanis - You mentioned being interested earlier, are your plans a bit more definite yet?

Uncle Rich, we'll miss you, but understand about the distance, not to mention the bigger BBQ that's been keeping you busy out your way... Wish all of your neighbors luck in the rebuilding process!

Turner-n-Burner, understand about being busy, but hope you can drop by after your class is over for mead and leftover turkey...

Come on folks, lets add yourselves to the list!

The pool is lovely.
We have plenty of wood for "toy testing"
Sounds like we'll have a stove to play with.

I promise to do everything I can to make sure a good time is had by all...

Gooserider

Hey Gooserider.....
I've been MIA on Hearthnet for a few months since burning season ended, and would have missed this if I hadnt seen the email from Craig today. I'd love the chance to meet some of the forum members. I am somewhat double booked already, but am heading to a party in Chelmsford, and I live in Billerica, so you're right on the way (will know how much on the way if you could send me directions!). I think I'm gonna to pass though on towing up my splitter (24 ton Harbor Freight). Mixing mead & dangerous power tools just doesn't sound wise, even if the splitter is the least-dangerous tool I use on a weekly basis :)

Let me know what hasn't been offered and/or would be good for the potluck. Also, I couldnt help but notice that you got a grapple load delivered. I've been having a horrible time trying to get one delivered, the tree services I've called either dont return phone calls or dont have all-hardwood grapples. But since you're nearby I'm hoping your guy will deliver here. Can you include the contact information in the party directions?

The tree people I've been dealing with are J & P Tree Service, 978-663-3353, they are located on Senna Terrace in Billerica, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting a load from them. They don't actually sell "grapple loads" as such, instead you basically pay them to come dump whatever is on the truck in your yard instead of theirs... I've gotten two loads so far this year, I would estimate each is in the 2-3 cord range, mostly all Oak, (mostly red, a bit of white) maybe a little Maple. The trees are all "yard trees" so the wood is a bit on the gnarly side, but that shouldn't be a big problem if you have a splitter (Maybe we can work a deal at some point, given how close you are!) So far I haven't run into anything I haven't been able to handle with a Monster Maul and a sledge & wedge, but I've had some "cuss a lot" logs...

If you want to bring the splitter fine, or not as you choose - I definitely plan to keep an eye on the mead and not let it get flowing before the "toys" are put away...

Gooserider

Thanks for the contact.... oak & maple suits me just fine, it's most of what I cut down around here anyhow. So it's about $50 per truck load (2-3 cords) then? Certainly can't complain about that!

I'll think about the splitter, right now it's at a fellow hearthnet members house in Acton, but I need to bring it back up here eventually. How R the roads where you live? One of the drawbacks to their trailer design is that it has zero suspension/springs, so it likes reasonably well conditioned roads.

The roads most of the way to our place are typical North Billerica roadways, reasonably well paved (we are near the intersection of 3A and Treble Cove). We are on a dead end street, and the last part of it is a bit rough, but shouldn't be a problem if you take it slow, I.E. the speeds you should be driving in a residential neighborhood w/ kids and cats around anyway... :coolsmile: I wouldn't consider the road conditions to be an issue.

Gooserider

Gooserider,
Wishing you great success with the party. Sure wish the wife and I could come. Always wanted to see that part of the country. Joined the forum too late to make arraingements this year and you know how far NM. is from you. Man, I would love to be your pitmaster and smoke some ribs, brisket, chicken, pulled pork, etc. on your grill/smoker, or drag up a cater rig to do it on. Maybe next year...yep maybe next year.

Stickburner

stick burner said:
Gooserider,
Wishing you great success with the party. Sure wish the wife and I could come. Always wanted to see that part of the country. Joined the forum too late to make arraingements this year and you know how far NM. is from you. Man, I would love to be your pitmaster and smoke some ribs, brisket, chicken, pulled pork, etc. on your grill/smoker, or drag up a cater rig to do it on. Maybe next year...yep maybe next year.

Stickburner

Thanks, I'm sorry you can't make it as well. I used to live in BRLA many years ago, sure was good food down there. They have BBQ around here, but it's just not the same...

Will see how this one goes, if we get a good turnout and people enjoy I may make it an anual event. Just wish more folks would RSVP, right now it's looking like a fairly light crowd.

Gooserider

I posted the directions to our house for the party here, but since the party is over, I've edited them out...
Gooserider

Goose,

I should be down around 2 Sat afternoon. Gotta work in the AM, (the pleasures of self employment!) The veggies I'm bringing will be a homemade (though not homegrown) marinated bean salad. Uhh..methane is a greenhouse gas isn't it? I don't got no toys to bring unless you want me to bring my Stihl and help with some of the truckload. I'll bring my super splitter ax and split some of it for you. I really do like doing that you know. My wife thinks I'm sick! Forecast trending a bit less favorable for t-storms Sat afternoon than it was looking, Yee-haw! Looking foward to it and meeting you all :coolsmile:

Ok who is comming? I don't want to be the only one. I have plenty of trees to cut up here.

Harley and Gva told me they will not be showing up. As for parts to rebuilding that stove they have not arrived.

They told me it would take longer than a week if they had to cast them. Evidently not all were in stock I guess I will still bring up the stove

elkimmeg said:
Ok who is comming? I don't want to be the only one. I have plenty of trees to cut up here.

Attendance so far -

Elk will be here, Not sure about Mrs. Elk, or what sort of food. Should have a stove, maybe his electric splitter.
jpl1nh, bringing Bean Salad (hey, free gas for the trip home :red: )
My friend Tim (who’s been helping me with a bunch of projects, including the pressure washing) and his 10 yr old son Cody - probably bringing something to fry in the turkey pot after the turkey is done.
Web and Webwidow - May only be here for a short time, bringing a blueberry pie
BurningIsLove
Kellog
fbelec
keyman512us

NOT Attending :-/
Uncle Rich
Stickburner
Turner-n-Burner - MAY make it very late, but no promises
Harley
GVA

Expressed interest, but haven't confirmed: :-S
hardwood715
Corie (& Corie)
Hogwildz
Mike Wilson
sstanis

Harley and Gva told me they will not be showing up. As for parts to rebuilding that stove they have not arrived.

Bummer, but at least that will give more time for painting the outside. I think it's impressive that VC is still willing to supply parts (and MAKE them) to support a stove that old, lots of companies wouldn't. I went to the stove shop (Fireplace Center in Chelmsford) and picked up a Stainless "T" and cap, an inline damper that can go into the T, and 3 cans of Flat black Stove Bright paint. Also got a bunch of pipes for the basement stove.

They told me it would take longer than a week if they had to cast them. Evidently not all were in stock I guess I will still bring up the stove

Sounds good, look forward to seeing you.

Gooserider

jpl1nh said:
Goose,

I should be down around 2 Sat afternoon. Gotta work in the AM, (the pleasures of self employment!) The veggies I'm bringing will be a homemade (though not homegrown) marinated bean salad. Uhh..methane is a greenhouse gas isn't it? I don't got no toys to bring unless you want me to bring my Stihl and help with some of the truckload. I'll bring my super splitter ax and split some of it for you. I really do like doing that you know. My wife thinks I'm sick! Forecast trending a bit less favorable for t-storms Sat afternoon than it was looking, Yee-haw! Looking foward to it and meeting you all :coolsmile:

Yes the forecast does look a bit gloomy - Need to get Wxman to work on it for us... :p Hopefully we'll come out on the good side of the odds.

As to toys, both the Stihl and the axe would be welcome - It's fairly buried at the moment, but I have a couple of really BIG logs in the pile, and the way my saw is cutting right now, I'd definitely have a tough time with them. A good saw would be nice. I'm also interested in seeing different sorts of wood splitting technology - my monster maul works, but I could be persuaded there are better tools. (I wouldn't mind seeing one of those "Wood Grenades" that I keep hearing people rave about for instance)

Gooserider

Mrs Elk Ellen, expressed no interest and thinks I'm nuts but glad to get rid of the stove She says have fun playing with your internet friends

Off to work and in the sun is it Hot

Count me in, gooserider.

Jury is still out as to whether I'll have time to bring up the hydraulic splitter or not, it's still in Acton at the moment and my work schedule may prohibit me from having enuf time to get down there & back with it (down is easy, non-direct backroads back is another matter).

Send me a note (public or pvt) and let me know what hasnt been volunteered for foodstuffs.

So far for food, we have promises for -

Deep Fried Turkey
Something else that will be fried in the turkey pot - on the order of onion rings or hush puppies

Burgers and Dogs (BYOB - Bring Your Own Bun = we don't do bread...)

Marinated Bean Salad

Our zuchinnies and summer squash are just getting going, probably we'll have a couple ready for harvest on Saturday.

Blueberry Pie

For drinks we have promises for -

Mead, multiple varieties

Some home brew dark beer that's left over from when I started low carbing

An assortment of diet seltzers and sodas

Probably some unsweetened Ice Tea

Maybe some other drinks if we get inspired

Anything that isn't on the list above is welcome... we probably could use some green salad or a veggie tray.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
jpl1nh said:
Goose,

Yes the forecast does look a bit gloomy - Need to get Wxman to work on it for us... :p Hopefully we'll come out on the good side of the odds.

As to toys, both the Stihl and the axe would be welcome - It's fairly buried at the moment, but I have a couple of really BIG logs in the pile, and the way my saw is cutting right now, I'd definitely have a tough time with them. A good saw would be nice. I'm also interested in seeing different sorts of wood splitting technology - my monster maul works, but I could be persuaded there are better tools. (I wouldn't mind seeing one of those "Wood Grenades" that I keep hearing people rave about for instance)

Gooserider[/quote: Perhaps wxman's been workin on it cause NWS out of Tauton Ma is suggesting T-Storm emphasis on Sat looks like it should be western New England, moving more substantially into our area Sun and Mon. Typically, forecasts consistently "trending" in a given direction such as this has been in subsequent model runs, tend to keep on or at least hold in that direction. So, I think Sat is looking pretty good now, humid, hot, (you have a pool, right :))but a lessened chance of rain! I'll absolutely bring the Stihl. Eric has given me some sharpening tips, (turn upside down to sharpen other side) to control curved cuts and I need some bigger wood to try this out on. The ax will come too. I agree, always looking for how one compares to another, and it will be intersting to pit the "super splitter" vs a more traditional maul. I'd love to see a "Wood Grenade" in action too! Hope one of you guys have one.

Looks like he has a really nice pool.

Thanks google.

elkimmeg said:
Mrs Elk Ellen, expressed no interest and thinks I'm nuts but glad to get rid of the stove She says have fun playing with your internet friends

Sounds like Mrs. GVA......
She think's we are all dorks..Gathering around our computers.....and stoves.....

GVA said:
elkimmeg said:

Sounds like Mrs. GVA......
She think's we are all dorks..Gathering around our computers.....and stoves.....
HEY! I resemble that remark! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.