Hearth.com server moved this morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Well, that little 90 minute period you could not bring up the site was when we moved the physical server box a few miles. Hopefully it will be a good move, as the box now sits closer to the "core" of the internet.

However, I'm giving it two strikes - you're out! If I have two problems that take extra time because there is not one of my representatives at the physical location....well, then I change ISP. But, after 10 years of good service, I'd rather not.

Webmaster said:
Well, that little 90 minute period you could not bring up the site was when we moved the physical server box a few miles. Hopefully it will be a good move, as the box now sits closer to the "core" of the internet.

However, I'm giving it two strikes - you're out! If I have two problems that take extra time because there is not one of my representatives at the physical location....well, then I change ISP. But, after 10 years of good service, I'd rather not.

Maybe it's just me, but today the site feels a bit sluggish on a fast cable connection. Posting a reply feels like I'm on a dialup account. It takes about 4-6 seconds to open the Post a Reply dialogue and about another 4-6 sec to post. Hopefully this just needs an easy tweak for the new locale.

DNS may be the key. I am having about the same latency as BeGreen. We'll know in 24 hours or so when the names servers around the world get refreshed.

WOW ! It is slow ............ I rebooted the computer and did a Norton's and Ad-aware scan before i kept reading ,I guess i should of read this post first . I have 3 meg cable ( 3000k ) speed and its down to dial up speed on this forum . Some one open up the damper ! The fire is choking ! Ha ...........

I'm having trouble too. Moving a little slow

It seems even slower this morning. Average page is now taking about 30 sec. to load.

I agree. I'm on a faster connection today than I was last night and things still feel quite a bit slower..........

Yeah, all screwed up.....

Since when can a move ever go right?

It's up and running and no DNS problems any longer, but there are definitely problems. My ISP is asking me to bear with him - but I told him that given the time of year I can only do so for a reasonable length of time. I think he put a trouble ticket in with Broadcom and also is headed over to the place this afternoon.

8:30 pm PST, the site feels much better. Quite snappy so far for browsing and opening the dialog for reply posting. But actually submitting the reply post is still somewhat slow. Edits on a post are much quicker. Hope that helps with the diagnostics.

There are some problems with your DNS but most of it is MX mail records
also some of the Delay of DNS lookups of the Move of the server could be because you do not have a Seprate server on a DIFFERNT network doing Secondary DNS services for your server when it was down.
see a report here.
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=hearth.com

The sucker is kickin now.

I remember this: IT used to work this way. This connection was working like someone left the damper closed but seems to be open now early in the morning.

Still a little slow submitting a post

Status
Not open for further replies.