Hearth.com slang and term "dictionary" - add your suggestions here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
We have a request to add some oft-used terms to a hearth.com dictionary (wiki entry, perhaps).....

The first two suggestions were:

Slammer (slam in, slip in, slide in) - A method of installing a fireplace insert where the unit is slipped into the opening without any piping or connection to the damper, flue or lining.

Smoke Dragon - A woodstove, usually an older model without EPA clean burn labeling, which spews lots of smoke and creosote

We do have an official glossary at
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/glossary

So this would be only for terms which are often used - but not in the glossary or everyday english!

Add your suggestions to this thread!

Chimlee = chimney.
Stones = firebrick
OAK = outside air kit
Stack = flue pipe

Barnburner - name given to a stove whose combustion contents frequently include cut-up pieces of salvaged barn beams and barn siding (gave my workshop stove this name years ago for that very reason....lol......)

Stop chewing your toenails Kath!

Some definitions I might add but am not sure of the exact definition:

Shoulder season

Uglies

For Slammer I would probably extend the definition to include:

Slammer (slam in, slip in, slide in) - A method of installing a fireplace insert where the unit is slipped into the opening without any piping or connection to the damper, flue or lining. Popular during the 1980's these units no longer comply to code in most areas and are considered dangerous by many due to limited margin for errors in install and operation.

Is it possible to also add common abbreviations i.e. CTC, ZC ? I see abbreviations in many replies and sometimes am stumped by them.

KaptJaq

Chord: See "cord"

Secondaries: Name that has been given to the burning gases at the top of the firebox in an EPA non-catalytic wood stove.

"Ah yes. Secondary combustion, The Holy Grail of wood burning" - Webwidow

Fool: Name given to Husqvarna saw owners by Stihl saw owners.

Idiot: Name given to Stihl saw owners by Husqvarna saw owners.

Moron: Name given to Poulan saw owners by Stihl and Husqvarna saw owners.

Big box store: Places of business such as Home Depot and Lowe's that obviously are bankrupt because everybody claims they never shop there.

China: Country that is obviously bankrupt because everybody claims they don't buy anything from there.

Shoulder season: The periods of early Fall and Spring where 24/7 burning isn't practical.

24/7 burning: What you long for in the Fall and are sick of by March.

OWB (outdoor wood boiler): Major disposal unit for getting rid of green wood, old tires and beer cartons.

Seasoned wood: Means nothing See "Dry wood".

Best wood stove: Whichever one is owned by the person making the recommendation.

Smoke Nazis: See "EPA"

EPA: See "Smoke Nazis"

Moderator: Someone with a God complex living in their basement getting even for all the times they were picked on at the playground in school.

Pine : Wood you can burn if it's properly seasoned. Really. You can. It won't kill you.

Uglies : the stuff that gets you through the dreaded "shoulder season" (see BB's post above).

CSS : Cut, split, & stacked, and I ain't talking about a buxom blonde/brunette/redhead, contrary to some people's opinions on here
confused-smiley-013.gif

FP : Fireplace

Dah Sistahood: See the icon in CSS

STOKED: STARTED AT FIRE or FIRED UP.

BURN ONE: HAVE A FIRE or Ummmm

CHILLY: MICHIGAN

THAT'S ALL FOLKS...

:)

CPU - (aka-Chunks, Punks and Uglies) - shoulder season wood
Damper- what bought "seasoned" wood is
Flu - an illness
Flue - a passage or duct for smoke in a chimney

All this time I thought CSS meant Cute, Shapely and Stacked...

Burn Cycle: the cycle one goes through in reloading the stove, charring the wood, bringing the stove up to temp, turning it down and letting it cruise. Also includes pulling the outside into the middle at some point and letting it burn some more, letting the coals burn down and starting all over again. This is done on a regular basis to keep your wife happy, usually a couple or 3 time a day except for those BK liars who claim to only have to load once a week. ;-P

Cruisin' : having the stove up to temp and heating the house for hours on end with no intervention needed.

And the old MM for moisture meter.

WoodpileOCD said:
All this time I thought CSS meant Cute, Shapely and Stacked...

That could quite possibly be a hanging offense.

Draft - What I don't feel with a wood burning Fisher Grandpa Bear in my bedroom

Splitter - What I do with each cord of 18" round wood my buddy dumps off. He takes half back split and I stack the other half that I split with my fugly home made splitter.

Sticking it to the man - Stove heat holding the house above 72 F with no central heat running.

Totally Predictable (TP) = The direction this thread has taken, also generally known as South.

I know fossil. My fault. The devil made me do it. A simple search reveals the meaning of smoke dragons, OAK and stuff like slammer installs. Faster than scrolling through a list. Without me or you having to maintain a dictionary.

I never say "Google is your friend." like some people do on the Net but I sure think it a lot of times. :lol:

Thread-Posts-Maximum (TP-Max)
The number of post, to a given thread, before it gets closed due to being way off of the Original Poster's (OP) topic
Thread-Posts-Minimum (TP-Min)
The number of post, to a given thread, before it begins to stray off topic.

BrotherBart said:
I know fossil. My fault. The devil made me do it. A simple search reveals the meaning of smoke dragons, OAK and stuff like slammer installs. Faster than scrolling through a list. Without me or you having to maintain a dictionary.

I never say "Google is your friend." like some people do on the Net but I sure think it a lot of times. :lol:

The Devil made me do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SLifea3NHQ

BrotherBart said:

+1
:lol:

+1 (2, 3,...). - Agree with the above quote/s
crotch: (1) term used by “master wood cutters†to show off their skills. “How to split a crotchâ€.
....................(2)A “Y†in the top of a tree that has a good firewood value in it (4†dia or +) that’s hard to stack & split, & should be used

don't forget FC - fetuchinni chips - that pile of white spagetti that comes from having to ripcut those big crotches with your chainsaw (you know, the crotches that are almost the size of half your pickup bed) cause there ain't know way you can get it over to the splitter...

and GM....gold mine......a huge round of locust that, when split, yields around 25 nice sized chunks of firewood.......I love GMs!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.