hearth construction for basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manada_hill

Sep 22, 2009
PA
Hello Guys, this site provided great tips and tools and convinced me in buying a wood stove. After a lot of reading and research on here I purchased jotul 500 Oslo in Blue-Black last week. It’s a beautiful unit … It’s still sitting in my basement where I’m planning to build a hearth this weekend. I read few topics here on how to build a hearth on a concrete floor and the one “Raised hearth construction for basement” https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/43291/ was a good one.

After reading the owner’s manual (a sloppy manual from jotul) I’m a little bit confused. If I understand it correctly, since there is a heat shield with the unit and no mention of the R value for the hearth in the manual, can I go with a slightly raised hearth 6’ X 5’ X 2 to 3” with any non combustible material right on the concrete floor? Or do I need to raise the hearth 8 to 10”….

Hill

I see no reason why you can't do what you want to do. In fact, you don't even need to build a hearth if you really don't want to since you could sit it directly on the concrete (it's obviosly non-combustible)... but that wouldn't look so nice.

Any non-combustible material will work you do not have to raise it up

Status
Not open for further replies.