Hearth construction question on ember protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosetrek

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
CA in the Sierras
So I need to build a hearth for my new stove... Ember protection is all that's required. My plan is one giant flagstone under the stove, with a wood border just past the required dimensions of floor protection. Since the flagstone is irregularly-shaped, I'm planning to fill the pockets between the stone and the border with 1/2 gravel that matches the flagstone. The stone and gravel depth will be about 2". The base will be 1/2 Durock Nexgen; thinset to floor and thinset to the stone.

So here's the question... Does gravel meet the need of ember protection, as it's non-combustible? If it doesn't, is the Durock underneath it considered a non-combustible surface? I could bed the gravel into the thinset if needed, but would like to be able to take it out and rinse it off every year or so. Thanks!

Agreed, and it is not a good ember barrier, but the Durock under the gravel does provide the proper the ember protection.

Thanks for the comments; and the comment about dust and ash is good. Maybe I could use stamped colored concrete for the voids to provide a solid surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.