Hearth Conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley Steve

Oct 28, 2008
Northern Ohio
I have a double sided hearth, open to two rooms on opposite sides that is 44" deep (inside glass-to-glass), 42" " wide (brick-to-brick) and 29" high (brick to steel lintel). On each side of the lintel are flu vents going to a common chimney. I would like to make two fireplaces out of it by partitioning the middle in firebrick up to the lintel. One side would be gas logs and the other side would remain wood burning. Is this possible? If so, what are the drawbacks/problems with doing this project? Please help if possible. Thanks.

Any way to post photos &/or a sketch of what you're trying to accomplish here?

Thanks for the response. I really have no way to post any pictures at this time. I want to firebrick the center to separate the two sides but my main concern is the shared flue and downdrafts to the other side. I will have glass doors on both sides which will be closed when the other side is in use.

Well it sounds like it was originally designed for two fireplaces. I have heard that it is generally not permitted to use different fuels leading to one chimney, however. Downdrafts might occur if you have an airtight house, but since the separate flues for some distance should help avert this.

Status
Not open for further replies.