Q&A Hearth Craft Franklin stove - should I keep it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

hello , I just purchased a home with a Franklin style wood stove , It's a Hearth Craft model HCI 1776 , I understand this branch of Hearth Craft folded many years ago , and could have been a Sears , or Monkey Wards line , but my main concern is that this wood stove has no doors , or any screen , they aren't meant to remain open are they ?, must use something for sparks , right ? and is it supposed to have a log grate in the bottom .

Thanks for any help you can offer , and feel free to tell me anything you think I should know about these type stoves

Answer:

Joe, if I were you I'd get rid of this stove. It was a cheap stove to begin with, and with age and missing parts becomes outright dangerous.

Have the chimney and installation checked by a certified sweep and then replace the stove with a newer model. You'll be glad that you did!

Status
Not open for further replies.