Hearth distance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougA

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2012
S. ON
I'm installing a Hearthstone Equinox which in my case (Canada) requires an 18" hearth from both the side and front doors. I've got a 10x30' area the stove is going in which is 5" concrete slab with ceramic tile on top, so IMHO, the entire area qualifies as non-combustible to the standards required.

I want to add a 8" raised hearth that will enable loading the stove easier without bending down as far but I want the raised section LESS than the 18" requirement, since if it's that far, I have to stand on the raised section to load the stove which negates the whole idea of raising it for me.

To help illustrate, I stole a photo posted by 'obsessed penguin' (thanks;)) who posted today and his hearth is strikingly similar to what I want EXCEPT it extends the full distance in front and I want to reduce that to about 8" in front of the stove. Am I making any of this clear? :confused:

The question is: can I reduce the raised hearth section to 8" in front of the doors since the full 18" requirement will be met with the lower floor section? The goal is to raise the stove to make loading easier for those with back problems.

Attachments

• stove 1.jpg
    stove 1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 102
Yes, that should be no problem. The raised hearth however will need to meet the hearth insulation requirements for the stove. The Equinox requires R=1 according to the manual.

Thanks. If I'm using 6" cement block on it's side plus 1 1/2" soapstone, that should be no problem. But, wouldn't the entire floor (hearth section plus 5" concrete slab) all add to that value, as long as there is nothing combustible in any of the layers?

You are fine with your plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.