Hearth Extension calculations?? Manual errors?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone tell me if I'm crazy or not:

The manual for my north star says the Hearth Extension must have a min. thickness of 1" and k-value of 0.49. Or, use "alternative materials calculation" for R-Value., which it does not give, but gives a method (standard formula) for solving for R from K and a thickness.

Since I'm using multiple materials (no one wants micore as their only material, not to robust of a surface material for a hearth)...anyhow..
So if I convert thier K to R, that's R=Thickness/K right?
That's R=1"/0.49 = 2.04.

SO I need R of 2.04 to meet spec.

I'm building a 6" raised hearth extension, with a piece of 1.5" of slate for the top surface. So I have 4.5" below the slate to the OSB floor.

By my sources, the 1.5" of slate is 0.15 R, so I'm down to 1.89 R needed now. Durarock is 0.26 R for every 1/2" . 1.89/0.26=7.27 or 8 layers of 1/2" durarock, that's 4".
My first though is, WTF? 4" of durarock? Whatever...

THen I flip the page and still in the "alternate materials calculation section" it has a table which is entitled
"Hearth Extension Insulation Alternatives - Min. R-value of 2.18 required"
2.18? Where'd that come from...ok..whatever, my 8 layers of durarock plus 0.15 of slate is still good. But then IN the table, it lists Durarock at 0.52/Inch of thickness, ok, that's right, then there's a column for "Thickness required" and it says 2.25" for the durarock?

Where's the 2.25" come from? 2.18/0.52=4.19 inches, not 2.25. Am I crazy or is something wrong with what they printed or did I miss something here.

At any rate, 2" or 4" , plus the 1.5" of slate, I think that's way overkill if you ask me. The old ZC open fireplace had a piece of 1/2" marble glued to plywood on top of a 2x4 platform. The flashpoint of a block of average wood is about 300C, I thinkk with 2" of durarock and 1.5" of slate I could build a fire on the hearth extension and not worry about the OSB underneath catching on fire.

The online manual is even more stringent, it seems the version posted at HeatnGlo's website for the North Star is an older version than the one that came with my North Star. It doesn't have the table of materials in it, and it lists the K value required at 1.5" min. thickness at 0.43K. WTF? 1.5/0.43=3.48R. 3.48??????? Let's see...for durarock, 3.48/0.26 13.4 layers of durarock or 6.7" worth. There's only 6" from the bottom of the fireplace fasica to the floor, so one would HAVE to have raised the fireplace up at least 3/4" of an inch off the floor to be in spec. Either that or use Micore which is very difficult of find unless you want to order a pallet of it.

I think 4 layers of durarock plus the slate, on top of some framed platform is plenty.

My other idea is to just use metal framing studs with 1 layers of durarock on top and 1 layer on the bottom, plus the slate on that, because dead air space is 0.97R/inch and I'd have 3.5" worth.

Air space is a cheap and easy way to build up Rvalue. How about using metal studs, 12" OC, to support a sheet of durock underlayment and then the slate?

That was my other idea, I'm just concerned metal studs are kinda flimsy and won't properly support the weight of the 300lb piece of slate on top.
I could be wrong though.

No problem. 300# spread over say a 2' x 4' area is like .26#/sq in. Add a couple 150# people standing on it and it's still less than a 1/2# per sq inch. This is not an issue, trust me.

You pop rivet or metal screw them together to make one solid framed unit. At 12" OC it will be very stiff and rigid. Screw this frame to the floor at a few spots and it is not going anywhere. Then screw down the durock cap and it will be a very solid box to set the slate upon.

I looked at some metal studs last night, I really didn't like them, the ones for sale at HD or Lowes are really thin gauge metal. Even putting 2 together to make a box beam I could torque those things around still, I'm sure it can support the weight but I just don't want that thing moving for feeling spongy, I'd have to cross brace them quite a bit to stiffen them up.

I found a local source for Micore300, $37 for 1/2" 4x10 sheet, at a place that sells acoustical products. Perfect. That'll get me 2 layers and the 2.18R and 0.49K required.
The Micore is really what the manual is trying to steer you into.

8 layers of Durock is just stupid, plus the front edge of the raised section would be all edges of Durock, not sure I could get the wire mesh for the cultured stone to fasten to that very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.