hearth extension ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clearblue16

Jan 14, 2009
Seattle
hey all, so i am having a mason friend help me build a new hearth extension this week prior to my new insert being installed.....i have attached a picture....currently it is just a concrete slab that is painted black and flush with the hearth....i was thinking bricks on top of the concrete to raise it up and look good. it seems most bricks are unfinished on the top and bottom so you have to cut them and set them on the edge....but then the front edge of the hearth will have unfinished brick. I guess my other options are hearthstone or tile....are ceramic tiles these days good enough? too brittle? any mind blowing ideas? thanks!

Attachments

• fireplace_003.jpg
    fireplace_003.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 2,099
Not sure what you have for native stone in the area. Around here, I would drive upstate NY to a few of the quarry/stone places and find some nice Bluestone slabs that i could cut and fit. If brick is what you want, I think it will look fine. The front would not have unfinished brick. You should be able to get some proper brick for this but id not, just lay on sides as you noted but you will have to have the end pointing out.

Brick, properly laid, could look just fine and I second the idea of finding native stone in your area. Of course, I'm not an interior designer but if you're going to consider stone to update the hearth floor, you may want to also consider it for the surround on the fireplace. Updating the whole look could increase your equity and/or bring you a lot of personal satisfaction and enjoyment.

As for ceramic tile it would be fine so long as you don't plan to move heavy things on it frequently. My hearth extension is ceramic tile and hasn't cracked (yet). Of course, I keep a few extra for the future in case we do have a crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.