Hearth Extension Pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabfive31

Sep 24, 2008
Central, CT
Was wondering if anyone knew what I could do to extend my hearth of my fireplace out about 2 inches minimum.
I have just installed a pellet stove insert and the directions call for 6 inches of clearance from the stove door to the combustible floor. The hearth is short just 2 inches from the minimum!
I'm new to the pellet game and would love some insight on this.
Thanks

I'm not sure what stove you have, but double-check your clearance diagram. My 6" clearance is from the glass surface, not the front of the door so I gain about an inch or so.

Steve

what is your hearth made from? you could probably make a small ext out of tile and cement board to extend it out some. I'm not sure if you would even have a problem with a couple of inches short but If your that concerned with it I would make an ext. if your hearth is made of brick you could probably add another row of brick to the front and that would make up the 2 inches. Showing some pics would be useful to determine the best idea. thanks

There are places online that sell extenders.....do a search under "hearth extension" or something like that.

You could probably make one on the cheap, but I bought a hearth extension
pad from Northern Tool online. At the time it was a sale and I
paid $60 shipped for it.

Not a close up but you can see it in this picture:
livingroomnow.gif

I was just at Lowes, saw some 2 in X 36 in marble and I think 4 in also. the 2 in was $4 and change.

Why not just pull out the hearth you have in place now and simply cover the back with right height size bricks and some mortor ?

Hey Zeta, the dog looks nice and comfy....what a life! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.