Hearth Extension Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hearth

Nov 16, 2012
Hello, I am new to the forum, so please forgive me if I'm asking basic questions.

I recently bought a home with a wood fireplace. The firebox is 10 inches off the floor, is probably 50 years old and is supported underneath by concrete and sits on a foundation wall (the house was added onto). My house has a crawlspace and the crawlspace has a dirt floor. I have been unable to use the fireplace much because there is no hearth extension and embers drop directly onto a hardwood floor (see photo).

My question is about a hearth extension. I built a 20inch x 6ft x 2inch precast concrete hearth extension that I plan to place directly below the firebox. It weighs about 300lbs and I was planning on just setting it on the floor, using silicone underneath and on the back to hold it (though it wouldn't be moving at 300 lbs anyway) and then grouting the join to the firebox (against facing tile). I've attached a picture of the extension.

Do I need any kind of support underneath the subfloor to support the extension? 300 lbs is a lot, but I've been under the house and the joists run all the way to the foundation wall (below the firebox) and are connected into the concrete.

Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2035.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 162
Tom - not sure I can answer the structural question. I'm curious - why 6" for the extension? Is it because it's a tripping hazard in the corner location (foot traffic)? I think I recall something like 16" or 18" beyond the front of the stove as per my stove install manual, and also being min requirement for fire code? Lots of people here can sanity check that. Sorry not much help but my brain is kinda going towards fire safety vs structural integrity, as a first stop...

Tom - not sure I can answer the structural question. I'm curious - why 6" for the extension? Is it because it's a tripping hazard in the corner location (foot traffic)? I think I recall something like 16" or 18" beyond the front of the stove as per my stove install manual, and also being min requirement for fire code? Lots of people here can sanity check that. Sorry not much help but my brain is kinda going towards fire safety vs structural integrity, as a first stop...

It says 20" x 6'...That's plenty of protection...

As for the weight, I am also not a structural engineer, but if you're worried, put some small jacks & a header underneath the area in question. Put some crushed stone down first, maybe a foot deep, then put a steel plate, maybe 12" square by 1" thick on the stone & then a couple of small screw jacks under the header & you should be good to go...

I'm in luck as there is already a screwjack directly under the target location....and Bob, you are correct, it's 20 inches x 6 feet.

Thanks guys

Reactions: DAKSY
It says 20" x 6'...That's plenty of protection...
Bob - thanks for that clarification. Apparently I can't tell the difference between and inch and a foot. Tom, apologies for my tired eyes and the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.