hearth extension solutions for sunken hearths

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
Both of our installations are downhill, or in a bowl, photos below. I'd like to extend the hearth in the front of both of them based on feedback I've gotten here, but am not sure how to overcome the slope issue.

The Morso is in a room where the ugly tile floor was covered over with wood, which left the stone hearth sunken. The floor guys put wood trim that accentuates the sunken-ness further, so the trim is raised up about an inch around the edges of the stone hearth. The outside of the trim is about a quarter inch higher than the wood floor, so any hearth extension has to deal with 3 separate levels. (ignore the cinderblock on the hearth.)

P1050920.JPG

The Jotul was placed on a stone hearth in front of the fireplace, and the wall-to-wall is just a little higher than the stone. We also have speaker wires crossing in front of the stove which are now semi-covered up with an ugly fiberglass hearth rug.

P1050916.JPG

I see hearth pads for sale, but I think I would have to put something non flammable at the front edge of the wood trim at the Morso (at the edge of the pad closest to the insert) to level it up, and not sure what to use. The pads I see for sale at the fireplace store are semi-rigid, right? Could they handle a little slope variation, like the 1/4 inch difference in height between trim and floor? I think even a little flexibility to the pad would make the Jotul hearth actually pretty simple to fix- just buy the pad and put it down, right?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks for your time!

I think I'd try a floor leveling compound on the hearth with the wood trim. The picture-framing of the hearth will act as a dam & contain the flow of the leveler.
Once that compound sets up you can lay more tile or another entire custom hearth pad on the leveler, & have it extend to the outer end of the trim...
You'll need to achieve 16 inches from the glass in the door for the pad to meet code.
For the Oslo, I think a pre-fab hearth pad would work just fine. The wright of the stove could be detrimental on a sloped hearth,
but for normal loading unloading the stove, it should be rigid enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.