Hearth extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Hi , I have 12 " hearth extension , what are my options here? Don't want to interfere with general look .
Is it unsafe to keep it like this?
See the pics, please.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 171
Put another 12" of the hearth stone on the floor in front of the insert.

The manual says minimal distance is 16 " , can I just add 4" on a floor to be up to code?

The manual says minimal distance is 16 " , can I just add 4" on a floor to be up to code?
That will bring it up to code, but won't help much safety wise if a fired up log rolls out.....it does happen<>

This is what I did when I went from a side loading stove to the deep, front loading NC30. I think just adding a few inches, although code acceptable, may look a little strange. Take a few tiles and just lay them on the floor in front of the hearth in different configurations just to see how it looks.

Attachments

• finished stove 013.JPG
    finished stove 013.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 130
  • finished heart 002.JPG
    finished heart 002.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 122
NOT RECCOMENDED.......but what I did just to pass inspection, was bought a piece of cement board, laid it in front of Hearth, had the inspector look at it, and he passed it simply because it need clearance from non combustibles, and the cement board fit the bill.....returned the cement board, and put down a Heart Rug. The Inspector even said " I know where this is going after I leave, but it's here, and I gotta pass it". My buddy built a Hearth Pad out of plywood and tile, and removes it in the off season

I personally would do it right and extend that hearth out it looks great the way it is and i feel anything short of extending the whole heath out will look like crap but that is just me stone on the floor would work but i dont think it will look near as good

Your manual states that if the hearth is more than 7" above the floor then no r value is required but must have 16" of non combustible material. I read that as the entire 16" must be 7" above the floor. If not it must be an r value of 2.38. So either add 4" of hearth at the same height or make a 4" extension that has a r value of 2.38 out in front.

Status
Not open for further replies.