Hearth for Jotul F500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Jan 9, 2015
Hudson Valley NY
We are going to purchase the Jotul Oslo need help in reference to hearth and wall behind stove.
We will have the rear heat shield. My question is has anyone used ledger stack stone on the wall behind the stove? Is it non flammable? The base will be going over 3/4 inch plywood with hardwood floor (oak) over that.
We want to put down durock and tile over that with slate tile.We will put durock on the wall and Ledger stack stone over it.

Thanks

We see several installations with ledger stack stone. A lot of ledger stone panels are actually cement and should be ok, but good to check to make sure it is pure cement. I would put a layer of 3/4" plywood under the 1/2" Durock. Screw the Durock down per directions with a cement board screw every 8". It will make a flatter hearth pad that can be removed without screwing into the floor.

The Oslo requires ember protection only unless in an alcove installation. A single layer of durock + tile is sufficient for this install.

In the manual on page 8.

See my avatar picture. Being a new house, I worked the hearth into the design. The oak floor does not go under the hearth. Actually the stone is cut back to accept the oak floor going under the front edge for a clean look. If I did it again I would try to get it all level.

Download the Oslo installation manual online. It has a requirements and dimensions. Before you go to far, check your chimney routing.

Status
Not open for further replies.