Hearth for wood fireplace - what to use under 1/2" brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curlybandit

Nov 30, 2014
Toronto
Hello.

Glad to see there's a forum that can help answer my questions.

My wife and I have recently renovated our home and were are looking to install a new hearth in front of the wood-burning fireplace. Ontario (Canada) safety code requires that the hearth be at least 16" deep and 8" from the sides of the fireplace opening. Ours is 16.5" and almost 12" on either side. Previously there was mosaic tile cemented on top of a piece of plywood.

My question is this: We will be installing 1/2" thick brick pieces in the hearth to match the brick that forms the front of the fireplace surrounding the opening. The hardwood which is cut up to the dimensions indicated above is 3/4" thick. There is plywood subfloor in front of the fireplace. What should I use in front of the fireplace to lay the brick on?

The masonry store we bought the brick from told us the proper way to do it would be to put a wire mesh down, a scratch coat of cement, then the brick and the mortar in between. This won't work because it'll raise the bricks up 1/4" above the level of the hardwood. They also told us that the alternative is to use PL to glue the bricks in place on top of the plywood subfloor, let it set and then use the mortar between the bricks. I was thinking of using tiling cement just as if I were laying down tile on top of the subfloor.

My concern is for the heat radiating off the fireplace and what should be under the brick to reduce the risk of possible damage or fire.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.