Hearth Install Advice/Tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyJ

Nov 13, 2014
tx
Have an open masonry fireplace.... with a flue that will need to be cut out to fit duct work. My issue is I know adapter boots are made - but which one to buy here? Possibly leaving the room for upgrades.

The ideas that come to mind is - going with a flexible rectangle flue (even though costly) - would fit right in this... Would it all be AOK? I don't really like this idea.

Should I knock out enough area to fit a 6 or so inch flexible liner/pipe from the top of the chimney down, into an adapter boot (rectangle to circle) ? This leaves room for upgrading the stove at a later point I believe.

What do I want to gain from posting this if I have these ideas? Well on the second portion, how does the boot get put atop the fireplace? I have hardly any room once the fireplace is inserted. So I think if I put the adapter atop the fireplace and tried to shove it in - no go. I would have to shove it and have someone hold it, shove the fireplace insert in, then set it atop with adhesive or possibly try and drill/mount it? That is my dilemma. I live in Central Texas but I can't figure the $2500 price tag quote I got to install. I'm only seeing less than $500 materials (minus the cost of the stove). Pictures attached below of the way my fireplace top is. I think I would need an adapter at the end of the pipe to the boot to insert? What would that be called? I'm a DIY guy but this sort of stuff is a new world to me and I want it to be to code - just incase - things happen and plan to have it inspected upon finalizing the installation for that reason.

Thanks, this forum seems to have lots of assistance and good information. I've got friends telling me to do a slammer install and I tell them to go away. :)

Attachments

• DSC02602.JPG
    DSC02602.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC02608.JPG
    DSC02608.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 125
I think the problem your going to run into is that insert is designed for a slammer install. Any boot or adapter will need to be screwed to the stove and you would need enough room to get in there and attach the flex pipe. If it were me I'd probably abandon this install and get a stove or insert that will fit and be able to be installed correctly.

Understandable... I will remeasure my clearances - as every boot I find is different. I think I could manage pre-drilling holes and attaching from the corner- not fun but manageable. Or get some of my friends and man-handle that heavy insert in at an angle. Literally slamming it into place with the adapter attached. Just going to be a pain for whoever tries to remove it when I up and move! ahaha. Thank you for your reply though.

Status
Not open for further replies.