Hearth is all a-flicker...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Midwest
...now just set back and wait for the TOTs. Sadly (gladly!) still ~65 degrees out, so no fire...but everything else flickers!

hearthhalloween2011.jpg

Pretty Spooky!

Very neat setup! I bet it'd look even cooler if you got the insert fired up also ;)

Mt Ski Bum said:
Very neat setup! I bet it'd look even cooler if you got the insert fired up also ;)

Might have looked cool, but I bet the windows would have been open ;-)

Thanks guys - yep, it would look neat with a big roaring fire, but a bunch of that decor would have melted! It's mostly hot glue, cardboard, old plywood and sticks I picked up from the yard! So no fires 'till it gets moved...and the temp drops off the 70 degree mark. Now Christmas, on the other hand...

fp2010.jpg

But fire or no fire, it's a little better than it started out...

FPbefore.jpg

cozy heat said:
Thanks guys - yep, it would look neat with a big roaring fire, but a bunch of that decor would have melted! It's mostly hot glue, cardboard, old plywood and sticks I picked up from the yard! So no fires 'till it gets moved...and the temp drops off the 70 degree mark. Now Christmas, on the other hand...

fp2010.jpg

Wow, that's beautiful!

Cozy, that is beautiful.

Nice cozy. Very nice. You have a cool place to relax and be proud of all the work you went through to get there. What kind of insert do you have in there? Does it have a blower on it?

I can see we will all have to step up to the mark this Christmas, that's really homely and neat :)

Great picture
Stove looks like it has eyes.
Beautiful

Beautiful hearth . . . I love hearths with the dry stacked stone look.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. The house has been a labor of love over the past several years as the wife and I have torn into most everything for remodel. It's been slow going with only cash out-of-pocket and plenty of craigslist scores, but seems like we're finally starting to turn the corner. Maybe someday I can compile all the photos from original to destruction to final product and get some together from the gas fireplace install in the basement. It even amazes me looking back. Sometimes fun just to curl up by the fire on a cold winters day and think..."we did all this"

As far as the insert, Gasifier - I don't know. I bought it third(+) hand out of the classifieds about 10 years ago. The guy I bought it from said the guy he bought it from wasn't sure what it was...thought maybe an early Buck stove. It doesn't have any name tag, and I've posted it a few times on here, but nobody seems to have seen anything like it. Out of pure luck, I found another on craigslist and emailed the seller, but they didn't know what it was either! It originally came with a rectangle 'port' in the top - to be used as a 'slammer' install and only a simple steel plate over the opening as a baffle. I cut all that out, welded in new plate steel for a 6" flue and set it up for secondary combustion. It's been our prime heat source ever since. I took out the two small blowers in the front intake grates and put in a 14" fan in the back - much more air flow and much more quiet!

This year I made a trip to the scrapyard and picked up some stainless to make a formal secondary combustion system with four tubes instead of just one. Hoping I might be able to get that installed this weekend and light her off as the temps are starting to get a bit chilly!

Looks great. Nice stonework.

Status
Not open for further replies.