Hearth is not 18" from front of stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of the Insurance company or what anyone says, you would be well advised to put in the appropriate hearth extension, and enjoy it as an upgrade to your hearth.
After all, it is worth something to go to sleep knowing you will wake up without 3rd degree burns on 80% of your body and your family will be safe.

I think am going to extend the by adding a semi circle off the front of the existing hearth. This hearth is painted brick so I suppose I wiil extend by cutting out the hardwood floor in front, fill with brick and paint it to match. My hearth is only an inch off the floor so I may take it out another 8 inches and maybe build a lip at the edge of the semi-circle.

Is painted brick OK to set the insert on or will it melt the paint? I guess I could tile over the painted brick somehow... I just want it the additional not not look like an after-thought.

I will send pictures when complete. I decided to get the Model 85 Buck Stove..

Thanks.

Here is a suggestion. Purchase a self leveling mortar to bring the entire area you wish to level. Mortar cementous layer over the area and finish it off with porcelain tile. I bet it will look the Cat's Meow! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.