Hearth mate needs help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hearthmate

Dec 24, 2007
eastern newyork
Question I inherited a Hearth mate all steel wood stove. It is at least 20 years old. I would like to use it. The door needs to be adjusted to close tightly. Also it appears that there was a lining inside on floor of the stove. It might have been re-factory cement or fire brick. I see bolts coming thru the bottom of the stove. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

post some pictures so that we can determine if it is better as a stove or a boat anchor.

I'm not very good with getting pictures on to the computer. What I can tell you is the stove is very simple. It is made completely from steel looks like it is at least 1/4 inch or thicker. I do not find any rust thru.

The chimney/vent connection is around 5 1/2 inches, the stove is rectanglar in shape with square tube legs and feet that allow you to attach it to the floor, the damper adjustment appears to be working it is at the end of a rod that slides in and out to make the adjustment. The door does not close tightley but I think it can be adjusted it looks like there is a set screw in the piece that catches the stove body.

It is a little bit banged up on the inside I think that is from rough loading. I plan to use the stove to heat my work shop which is a separet building. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

I'm no expert, there are plenty of those on this forum though. If there appears to be parts missing, I'd get that thing inspected before using it. At the very least, and I mean very very least (we are talking about your own personal safety and that of your property), put some pictures on here and let the real experts have a look for you.

As a shop heater it may be ok, though don't expect it to be miserly with the wood. Does the stove look all black on sides and top or are their light grey areas in some places. This can be a sign of overfiring.

It would be good to find out if it was designed to run with firebricks on the firebox floor. Keep searching. If no overfiring is visible, it may just need a good inspection for any leaks or failed welds, cracking, etc. Then with new gaskets, firebrick and a safe hearth + flue, it may be good to go. It will need full 36" from combustibles and a well insulated hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.