Hearth Mats and Front Clearances for In-Built Wood Heaters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JACQUI

Jun 26, 2007
Could anyone tell me if a hearth mat is adequate in front of a wood heater. I am installing an in-built wood heater with wooden floorboards directly in front and need to know if this fits with regulations. i was planning on using a large hearth mat during winter months, as I hate the look of tiles in front and do not want to cut into the floorboards. Any information would be helpful.

if you are talking about a rug it is not considered an non-combustibale you normally need 16-18 inches of non-combustibale ie tile stone brick

Best case scenario would be a hearthpad that you could put away for the summer. When incorporating Micore 300, cement board and a piece of plywood as a base for the tile it could be done. I built my hearthpad in my basement and myself and my neighbors son moved it to the living room. Not a job I would want to do every season but it doesnt sound like what you need is all that big?

Morso has a clear hearthpad but I know nothing about it other than it would look bad ass on a hardwood floor.

http://www.morsoe.com/us/Products/Accessories/Hearth_pads/Morsø+hearth+pads.htm

Thanks for your replies. I was considering tiling some plywood to place in front of the heater, that way it can be removed in the summertime. I will check and see if that meets the regulations as I would prefer to do that then have tiles permanently tiled on the floor.

Welcome Jaqqui. The hearth must extend underneath the stove, not just in front of it. We can give more detailed information about the hearth if we know more about the stove. What make/model of stove is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.