Hearth mounted stove options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt243

Nov 22, 2016
Arkansas
Well the fireplace store has informed me I only have one option for an insert for my current zc fireplace and it's not worth installing due to the small size and lack of heat it puts out. The other option is to install a freestanding stove on the hearth. It's a raised hearth that is 23.5" deep and the fireplace opening is just shy of 30". The sales rep told me the only stove that will fit is a hearthstone homestead hearth mount stove due to the rear vent height being too tall on other stoves. I have an open floor plan with high ceilings and need as big of a stove as I could fit to heat around 3000 sq ft. If anyone has any suggestions on some other stoves to look at I would appreciate it. I have tried texting back the sales rep for the last few days to get other ideas and no response from them!

That might would be an option but the firebox looks pretty small. I really would like to be able to use a stove as my main source of heat. We live in the country and have plenty of wood. Our current furnaces are propane and we would like to cut down on that bill as much as possible.

Don't think your gonna get much stove with 23" to work with, and even then you would have nothing for front clearances. Might start searching complete removal and an alcove installation or a more modern ZC stove that is capable.

I had a 1.6 cuft Osburn insert and it was good for about 1300 sq ft. No way would it do 3000. But most insert and stoves for that matter won't either.

Anything out there comparable to the hearthstone homestead in size that would work and not be quite as expensive? I have been researching a bunch but figured the local experts would be able to give better records recommendations for my current situation!

Without seeing the existing hearth.. one thing to know, is the Homestead has a very high R value requirement..

The hearth depth makes it a challenge unless the hearth is extended at the current level. It looks like Hampton H300 would just fit with the short leg kit. The hearth would still need an ember protection extension pad at floor level.
Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 5.48.03 PM.png

Without seeing the existing hearth.. one thing to know, is the Homestead has a very high R value requirement..[/QUOTE

Here is a pic of the hearth and fireplace. I'm will go with the homestead if that's the best available and will fit but I definitely like some other stoves like jotul. Just not sure if they would work since the dealer won't get back with me!
IMG_1615.JPG

Well the fireplace store has informed me I only have one option from the manufacturers they carry for an insert for my current zc fireplace and it's not worth installing due to the small size and lack of heat it puts out. The other option is to install a freestanding stove on the hearth. It's a raised hearth that is 23.5" deep and the fireplace opening is just shy of 30". The sales rep told me the only stove that he sells that will fit is a hearthstone homestead hearth mount stove due to the rear vent height being too tall on other stoves. I have an open floor plan with high ceilings and need as big of a stove as I could fit to heat around 3000 sq ft. If anyone has any suggestions on some other stoves to look at I would appreciate it. I have tried texting back the sales rep for the last few days to get other ideas and no response from them!
There, I fixed your post. ;)

I had a 1.6 cuft Osburn insert and it was good for about 1300 sq ft. No way would it do 3000. But most insert and stoves for that matter won't either.
Not so fast, there. If the OP is looking to reduce their propane bill, and not get 100% onto wood heat, a small stove could be ideal. I know of what I speak, as my stoves are also undersized for my entire winter heating needs.

A smaller stove would be able to run over a larger part of the season, say October thru May, without any issues of overheating the space. It may not heat the joint 100% in January, but if they keep it going, it will put an enormous dent in that propane bill. More importantly, they can probably run it seven months of the year without issues, where a larger stove might only suit them three or four months of the year.

The big issue with the small stove (pun intended) is the burn time. You could find yourself reloading more than you'd like. I have settled for burning my stoves at a rate that suits my schedule, not my actual heating requirements, and let the central heating pick up any slack in that plan. I'm still buying oil, but at least a thousand gallons less than I would if I weren't burning wood (homonym intended).

There, I fixed your post. ;)

Not so fast, there. If the OP is looking to reduce their propane bill, and not get 100% onto wood heat, a small stove could be ideal. I know of what I speak, as my stoves are also undersized for my entire winter heating needs.

A smaller stove would be able to run over a larger part of the season, say October thru May, without any issues of overheating the space. It may not heat the joint 100% in January, but if they keep it going, it will put an enormous dent in that propane bill. More importantly, they can probably run it seven months of the year without issues, where a larger stove might only suit them three or four months of the year.

The big issue with the small stove (pun intended) is the burn time. You could find yourself reloading more than you'd like. I have settled for burning my stoves at a rate that suits my schedule, not my actual heating requirements, and let the central heating pick up any slack in that plan. I'm still buying oil, but at least a thousand gallons less than I would if I weren't burning wood (homonym intended).
But he did say he wanted a stove to heat 3000 sqft. I agree that any stove will take the edge off and help plus add ambience. But they ain't gonna fit in that hearth and heat 3k

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks for the replies! I do like the look of the Hampton but am not sure if it would out perform the hearthstone. I did find a fireplace store that is a lot closer than the one that installed my current setup ( well over an hour away) so I will have to swing by there and see if they have any recommendations. If anyone else has any suggestions let me know! And a complete remodel is out of the question due to the expense!

Does anyone think the enviro boston series stoves would fit or be better than the hearthstone as far as heating area? I am not partial to any particular brand as I would be a first time stove owner so all suggestions are appreciated! Would the jotul f400 work for my scenario? Was just doing a little more research and thought that stove might fit.

Last edited:
There are many stoves that will put out more heat, but very few that meet the constraints set by this location. The Enviro Boston is an excellent stove, but is top vent only.

To be honest with you and this is just my opinion, and only my opinion I wouldn't do any of those stoves, there just to small for your space with the open floor plan / high vaulted ceilings.
Since this is a ZC fire place I'm willing to bet the front hearth is just veneer stone under standard wood framing, I would take the hearth off the front of the stove, rebuild it lower on the floor (under spec's for a larger stove clearance rating) then install the free standing stove in front of the ZC.
Were you planning on installing a liner in the existing chimney pipe? Most freestanding units require a 6" flue now so that could be an option as long as the existing chimney is rated to handle it.

To be honest with you and this is just my opinion, and only my opinion I wouldn't do any of those stoves, there just to small for your space with the open floor plan / high vaulted ceilings.
Since this is a ZC fire place I'm willing to bet the front hearth is just veneer stone under standard wood framing, I would take the hearth off the front of the stove, rebuild it lower on the floor (under spec's for a larger stove clearance rating) then install the free standing stove in front of the ZC.
Were you planning on installing a liner in the existing chimney pipe? Most freestanding units require a 6" flue now so that could be an option as long as the existing chimney is rated to handle it.
I was planning on running a liner through my existing pipe. The hearth is all real rock and there is a 3ft concrete footer poured under the fireplace to withstand all the weight. The hearth was filled in with rock before they put the cap on it. I agree that the ideal situation would be to tear out the existing and start over but that would be a much more expensive undertaking and I don't have the finances to do it. I really am just trying to find out which rear venting stove would have the highest heat output and fit on the current hearth. Thanks for the input!

The Castine and the Hampton H300 have roughly the same size firebox, about 1.7 cu ft.

Give Woodstock a call and ask them what is the lowest flue outlet height that can be achieved with their Ideal Steel stove. If that can be made to fit then that would be the biggest stove for that location with the hearth and lintel height constraints. We had a poster report a while back that the flue collar can be flipped to make it even lower than the documentation shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.