Hearth on Cement Floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhjr

Feb 22, 2008
RI
Thanks for all the help while doing research! My question is What is the easiest/cheapest way to make a hearth that will sit on a cement floor? The stove is going in our finished basement. I plan on cutting the carpet where the hearth will be located. After doing some searching most of the plans seemed to be for wood stoves located on combustible floors. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
JWH

This certainly aint the cheapest of suggestions, but it's what I did in my workshop. Don't feel much like bending down to load/tend the stove. Nothing combustible beneath the stove, so it's kind of a no-brainer, you can do about anything you want, including nothing but cutting away the carpet the required amount all the way around. Gotta worry about all the other clearances, though. Rick

Attachments

• shopstove.jpg
    shopstove.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 275
The cheapest, sit it on the bare concrete. If you want to build it up, don't use any combustible materials. If you want a raised hearth, use blocks to bring up the height, cover with a backer board and then tile. Make note of what Rick said, pay attention to your clearances and if you raise your hearth, less bending for loading.

Here's what we did. https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/woodcoal/source/englander12.html

I just tiled over the concrete floor for our hearth. It's looks nice, it's easy to keep clean and it provides a finished look for our stove. I still need to terminate the carpet but even though the tile is the same level as the carpet, it does keep the dirt from being tracked all over the house.

Hunter

Hunter819 said:
Here's what we did. https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/woodcoal/source/englander12.html

I just tiled over the concrete floor for our hearth. It's looks nice, it's easy to keep clean and it provides a finished look for our stove. I still need to terminate the carpet but even though the tile is the same level as the carpet, it does keep the dirt from being tracked all over the house.

Hunter

Without question the best method.

Concrete is the best substrate that you can get for tile or stone. Since the OP'er already has the best substrate.... Then use it already!

Thanks for the information. Do I need to worry about the cellar floor not being level?
Thanks,
JWHjr

jwhjr said:
Thanks for the information. Do I need to worry about the cellar floor not being level?
Thanks,
JWHjr

The question is always, how unlevel. Are we talking pits, or holes, or are we talking a serious gradient difference from one side to the other?

Depending on which, there are solutions. Gradiant issues can be solved with self levelers, pits or holes, or chunks missing can be fixed by using a wider trowel, and some larger format tiles.

Got the same thing going on here and no matter what it is if I bounce aroud long enough I always find some help. Great Site! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.