Hearth pad (built myself) and Harmon Oakwood pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brider

Jun 13, 2008
New Haven, CT
This is the only photo of my new Oakwood I can load right now, the others are too big. I'll try to re-size and load the others later. I'm most proud of the hearth pad I built, it's a nice slate tile that goes well with the rustic look of the room and the Oakwood.

That blue pan with the cider-colored liquid is some concoction my wife came up with to moisturize the house, and make it smell like apple pie. It works! (when you put it ON the stove).

Be sure to click on the image to get a BIG view of it! You can see the baseboard heaters that will NOT get used this year, if I can help it. The windows behind are great for letting in fresh air when the stove gets too hot. I usually leave one window open 1" or so for a source of fresh combustion air. Works great!

Attachments

• stove fire.JPG
    stove fire.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 1,603
brider, that is beautiful. Nicely done.

That's a handsome stove you've got there brider. It looks great in that setting. Good work!

Very nice job brider. Hope you have a grate to put that vaporizer on ...otherwise it will boil over and spoil the looks of that stove.

Very nice looking setup you have there.. Looks real cozy too!!

Enjoy,
Ray

Beautiful stove and very good work on that hearth pad. You'll enjoy that beauty during the winter. Interesting idea by your wife. I've got some essential oils that I could use--putting a drop or so in the enamel coffee pot that I keep on top of my stove. Thanks for sharing the picture.

I think you did a terrific job, brider. Enjoy!. Rick

Came out "pirdy". Nice job. what is in that concoction? If I wanted to do the same....

Thumbs up! Very nice.

Excellent job! That is a very nice set up you got! 5 stars *****

Looking great! Now I want to see some pictures of some steaks cooking on the Oakwood grill option.

Beautiful set up. I am trying to put together a similar hearth pad with (it looks like) similar clearances. My Avalon requires 15" from each corner and 16" in front of the door. I thought a corner fitting pad like yours would end up being too big, so I was just going to make a rectangular one that give me the 6" pad on the sides and rear and 16" in front, but I love the look of yours. If you have similar clearance requirements, can you send me your plans? Any help would be much appreciated!

Excellent job. Fits real nice in the setting. You should be proud. OK so now I also want to know what are the secret ingredients in your wifes potion. I love the smell of apple pie. Ask her if she is giving it up. Ask real nicely so she will tell you. thanks

I'm new at all this and am planning to get an Oakwood, so I've got a question or two:

If you have the specified distance between the stove and the wall, does that mean you don't have to worry about the pyrolysis issue and don't need protection for the wall, too? I'm not sure just what these clearance distances mean and I try to way over-protect things, etc.

I plan to build my own hearth pad, too. What do you build 'em from and how?

Is there a web site that breaks it all down for us new folks? Thanks--

TB

Status
Not open for further replies.