Hearth Pad Cement Board - I'm Confused

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off the record I would say any of the ones listed are fine.

As a professional, I would have to say only the ones that are specifically tested as a non-combustible material should be used. It also happens that those ones have a slightly higher R value also, which is an added benefit.

FYI I know I am late to the party but I went here looking for information prior to building a hearth and wanted to see what everyone thought of DuraRock Next Gen. I would like to add for any other late comers that I bought some today in NJ 8 pieces of 3x5x1/2 and the sticker states its UL Classified in also in accordance with ASTM E136 Standard Test Method for Behavior of Materials in a Vertical Tube Furnace at 750 degrees C. That's hot. So I am thinking I yeah there is going to be some heat transfer. But I intend to use steel studs under the board to give 1.5 inches above my floor and give air flow. I intend to use double 1/2 Dura Rock Nex Gen board and then a tile upper. I cant see that failing.

FYI I know I am late to the party but I went here looking for information prior to building a hearth and wanted to see what everyone thought of DuraRock Next Gen. I would like to add for any other late comers that I bought some today in NJ 8 pieces of 3x5x1/2 and the sticker states its UL Classified in also in accordance with ASTM E136 Standard Test Method for Behavior of Materials in a Vertical Tube Furnace at 750 degrees C. That's hot. So I am thinking I yeah there is going to be some heat transfer. But I intend to use steel studs under the board to give 1.5 inches above my floor and give air flow. I intend to use double 1/2 Dura Rock Nex Gen board and then a tile upper. I cant see that failing.

I'm with you. I'm going to build my hearth almost in the same fashion as you. 3/4" plywood with 1/2" Dura Rock Nex Gen on top of it. I'm going with 1/2" slate tile on top of that. No metal studs though, just regular 2x4" studs.

Lopi Cape Cod's manual states:

"Floor Protection Requirements

•  Floor protection must extend to the sides, rear, and front of the stove (see “Clearances” below for minimum floor protection).

•  Floor protection must be non-combustible and at least .018” (.45mm) thick (26 gauge). "

So, with that said, I think my material is 1" plus of non-combustible in material above the 3/4" plywood and well over the .018" thick requirement Lopi requires in their manual.

I think this sound do.
If I get spooked then maybe I'll double up on the Dura Rock sheets to two, for an 1" thick base...

Status
Not open for further replies.