Hearth Pad for Englander 30NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northernwoodsman

Feb 13, 2008
Northern MN
I'm in the process of designing a hearth pad for a Englander 30NC. I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas of how to do it. I know all the specs and how to achieve them, I am just looking for any clever ideas! I have a small living room and am putting the stove in a corner in front of two picture windows. I'd like to use slate. Pictures would be wonderful!

what are the requirements? Just a non-combustible pad, or do you need to achieve a certain R-value?

Elfin said:
what are the requirements? Just a non-combustible pad, or do you need to achieve a certain R-value?

R = 1.5

There have been a few threads in the past year that discuss this very thing! If you can find them, there is a lot of good information. If you're like me, the more you learn as you design your pad, the more questions you'll have.

This is the thread I had when I was installing my 30 last year.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11825/P0/

Here is the design drawing that I turned in to the county when I applied for my permit:
http://www.crystalnetworking.net/stuff/Hearth_Pad_Design.pdf

-SF

Thanks SlyFerret. I was on your thread earlier today and already printed off your design. I like the metal studs idea. Do you have any estimate how much the hearth cost total? Also, do you have any pictures of the final install, my wife is curious how the "big stove" is going to look!

The hearth pad itself was pretty inexpensive. I know that the whole project cost under $1400. I bought the stove new on craigslist for $550. I would guess that I spent about $600 on all of the parts for the chimney install. I'm pretty sure I spent less than $250 on the hearth pad.

Durock was farily cheap. Metal studs are fairly cheap. Screws are fairly cheap. I lucked out and found some tiles that I liked on clearance for $.69 /sqft. The tiles that you chose can greatly influence the price of the hearth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mpgehrisch/2647257779/sizes/o/

-SF

Thanks for the info! Does anyone else have any interesting or clever hearth ideas?

when i did mine last year i started with a piece of plywood on the bottom to the shape i wanted it.Then i put a layer of micore, then two layers of durock.then i got marble tiles from home depot on clearance for a dollar a tile. Did it fairly cheap..the micore was only $25 for a 4x8 sheet...i ended up throwing out a 4x4 piece...the whole pad was under $100

Thanks for the ideas. I like the micore with durock combination. Was this the total thickness?

On a side note, do you like your stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.