Hearth Pad Help Needed: Do I need more protection?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a video of my stove on YouTube and a Hearth.com member commented on the video that I may not have adequate protection for my floor.

I have an Englander 12-FP. All my clearances are fine. The question is regarding floor protection.

I purchased the stove and materials 2 years ago, but only recently installed it and have been using it for 2 months now with great results.

The "pad" lies directly on my wood laminate flooring. I never received any literature with the pad, but my receipt indicates it's a "Guardian PG-F4842B1". It is 1.5" thick and is lined with a woven, fibrous material resembling that of my stove door gasket. An online search revealed an identical model number on the first page of this newsletter: http://www.northweststoves.ca/pdf/newsletters/07-1212.pdf

I also got a hit on this which appears to be identical to my pad: http://www.9918.info/trade_b2b/product/black-embershield-hearth-protection-105279309.html

My Englander stove literature indicates an R-rating of at least 2 is required. I have no idea what the R-rating of this pad/board is and I have been unsuccessful at finding any literature about it.

Please help!

HEY! It was me. I wasn't trying to freak you out about a fire or anything, just wanted to make sure you got it to code. I did some google searches and came up with the same links you just posted. I don't really know what the R-value is for that pad either.

Realistically speaking, though, I've done a lot of checking underneath the stove and it's never gotten hot enough to worry. I don't know if the difference is that you and I both use the legs on there, and the R-value requirements were for the pedestal? It's been a long time since I read through the manual.

Danno77 said:
...I wasn't trying to freak you out about a fire or anything, just wanted to make sure you got it to code...
I freak out easily when it comes to risk of burning down my home.

Danno77 said:
...Realistically speaking, though, I've done a lot of checking underneath the stove and it's never gotten hot enough to worry. I don't know if the difference is that you and I both use the legs on their, and the R-value requirements were for the pedestal? It's been a long time since I read through the manual.
I just looked at the manual and there is no distinction with regard to R-rating between pedestal vs. leg installation, just that the R-rating is to be at least 2.

I agree that it doesn't get that hot underneath, but I'd still like to be within the manufacturer's specifications. I hope someone who has the same pad/shield sees this thread and has their literature.

Golkin appears to be a Chinese tile and patio furniture maker. The insulation value is unknown. Hard to say if it is more than a good embershield.
Call your dealer to see if he has any actual specs. For peace of mind it may need a layer of 1/2" micore or other insulation board underneath it.

I think this could be the company that made yours. I can't find it on their website, but the pdf you linked to mentions the name Hearth Classics and has a matching number.

http://www.hearthclassics.com/

They do make high R-value pads that aren't very thick, but I don't see them labeling something "EmberShield" if it is supposed to be rated for that high of an R-value.

Danno77 said:
I think this could be the company that made yours. I can't find it on their website, but the pdf you linked to mentions the name Hearth Classics and has a matching number.

http://www.hearthclassics.com/

They do make high R-value pads that aren't very thick, but I don't see them labeling something "EmberShield" if it is supposed to be rated for that high of an R-value.

You're probably correct about the website, but I don't see any pads there that look like mine. Additionally, it would appear their pads have R-rating of 1.01, with the exception of the "XTreme" and "Low Profile Base" versions which are definitely not like mine.

BeGreen said:
...For peace of mind it may need a layer of 1/2" micore or other insulation board underneath it.

What is the nature of "micore"? Is it fabric? Rigid?

It is a soft, mineral board often used for sound deadening in acoustic panels. If you have a nearby site for recycled or cheap office cubicle separator panels, you might find them with a core of Micore panel.

I just posted a thread on where to find Micore a few hours ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.