hearth pad mat extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlasko

Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
I have my wood stove on a raised cement pad. However I need 18 inches of noncombustible protection in front of the stove. There is carpet there now and I don't want to cut it....is there a cheaper type of noncombustible mat that I can use....its to just catch sparks right?....I could be way off on that though...I guess my question, is does it have to meet a specific R value if its just in front or not....what have you folks used?

The solid cement pad has the stove raised at least 6 inches....is there a noncombustible mat instead of purchasing an extension....I mean is there just something obvious that would work that's inexpensive....I don't care how ugly it is....

How far out West in PA are you, I know in most of PA they have stone quarries. You might be able to pick up a nice(Slab) piece of blue stone to lay in front of your hearth to protect the floor. It might be cheaper than something made for this. That is if your stove doesn't require an R value floor protection. The blue stone slabs I made my hearth out of are 2ftX4ft and 2inchs thick and I paid like $4 square foot for them. that was like $32 each and they look better than tile IMO. You could simply lay that over your carpet and just mortar the side that goes against your hearth or fill any gap with high temp silicon and then remove it with no damage to the carpet.

Sorry, its for an Englander 30NCL...I was thinking about a stone slab too....the R value is 1.5 however it is elevated at least 6 inches of the ground.....

That Englander pukes out tons of heat from the front glass. This is no place to skimp on the hearth requirements.

I re-read your post to make sure I WASN'T getting it, so I will ask.
1.) Does the hearth meet all required codes, and you are just looking for protection for the carpet. Or
2.) you are trying to gain hearth distance by adding a rug?

If the first is true, you would be OK. But if your intention is to use a rug "in place" of a hearth, to meet code distances, that doesn't work as far as I know.

BeGreen said:
The protection value would depend on the stove requirements and how high the cement pad is raised above the existing floor. There are several types of hearth extension pads available. Here's a link for some sizing options.

http://www.hearthclassics.com/hearth_pads/hearth_pad_about.htm#yoder
http://www.ajhearthoriginals.com/optionst.htm

Be green

Can you put the hearth extension right on the carpet?? how do you attach the hearth extension to your main hearth??or do you need too???

Thanks John

I had that same problem with my QF 4100i the stove sticks out about 6" out of the fireplace so I had to extend my hearth, we have wall to wall carpet also snd didn't want to cut the carpet either. The dealer I bought my stove from offered a pad for a cheap fix but it worked it passed our town inspection. The company it HYC company out of Saint Louis MO. It's just a black tin mat with heat resistant material inside about 18"x50" I think we paid 50 to 100 us. It is ugly but it worked.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.