Hearth pad question....Help?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

I am currently finishing my basement. Considering I barely knew what a hammer was before I started, I have come a long way. Insulated,, framed, wired, plastered and painted.

I am in the process of putting down ceramic on the floor where my wood stove will be.

Here's my question: can I install the ceramic directly onto the concrete floor? That is what the local flooring store in town told me as did the local hardware store (although I am a bit cautious with this advice).

I am concerned it won't be an R value of 1.0 as indicated in my owners manual for my Osburn 2300. Will it make a difference? Should I put something under the ceramic? Or can I lay the ceramic directly on the concrete?

My concrete floor is completely cured, it's 4 feet below ground level.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

I think the whole R value thing applies when youre dealing with a combustable surface, a concrete floor should be fine. As for your tile I would think directly on the concrete would be fine unless its sealed somehow where the thinset wouldnt grip.

Hopefully someone with more tile experience will check in

If the hearth is going on a cement slab, you have all the protection you need. The earth below it has a value of R = 100000.

gotcha. I was of the understanding that it HAD to be R 1.0 since the manual stipulates: "Your wood stove should be placed on a non-combustible surface with a R value of 1.0. For multiple layers, add R-values of each layer to determine the overall R-value"

But I now understand the concept of the above installation instructions.

Tiles directly on the concrete it is!

A.

As far as I know there is never a penalty for exceeding the specs.

BeGreen said:
If the hearth is going on a cement slab, you have all the protection you need. The earth below it has a value of R = 100000.

+1 . . . a nice thick layer of concrete over the Earth . . . can't get much better protection than that . . . the tiles will just pretty up the area and help on clean up.

On the other hand, why not put something down to help insulate because concrete will just absorb heat. Will the ceramic take care of this problem? I'm just wondering if he would better be served to put something in addition to the ceramic tiles.

LOL. You see, it is now obvious that I am relatively new to wood heating.

I thought the purpose of having R1.0 or more under the stove had to do with the draft, etc. However, I have now learned that it has to do with the PROTECTIVE heat resistence to a combustible under the stove.

AHHHHH.. I see the light!

A

Swedishchef said:
AHHHHH.. I see the light!

Not till you fire up that baby. Then the light show begins for real.

Backwoods Savage said:
On the other hand, why not put something down to help insulate because concrete will just absorb heat. Will the ceramic take care of this problem? I'm just wondering if he would better be served to put something in addition to the ceramic tiles.

Not to mention a raised hearth is rather nice - looks good and may (depending on stove and individuals involved) make it easier to feed and clean out.

Our first hearth pad was about 1" thick... did the job fine and I generally was happy with it. When we put new stove in we increased the size of the pad and raised it about 6" - largely to make it less likely to stub toes on as we walked past and just because it 'might look nice'. We have been so very glad that we did this - it really set the stove off nicely, gives us a place to sit and warm the back, and when loading or cleaning the stove I don't have to bend down as far.

So - if the room and stove are right for it consider raising the stove up. Compared to what it sounds like you already have done in that basement it won't be all that hard to construct!

I may be mistaken but I think the floor absorbing some heat would be a good thing. A warm floor near the stove sounds pretty comfortable. I would be interested to hear just how far away from the stove the floor would be warm

If the earth catches fire we know who to blame. :bug:

woodjack said:
If the earth catches fire we know who to blame.

That doesn't happen until 2012 though. ;) :)

LOL. Who feels like a fool now? Me!!! But hey, now I know what I gotta get done!

If the earth catches fire, take me to court. But like firefighterjake said, not for another 1.5 years!

Andrew

firefighterjake said:
woodjack said:
If the earth catches fire we know who to blame.

That doesn't happen until 2012 though. ;) :)

Luckily I have a hearth pad to stand on ;) Better check the "R" requirement on that one though

Swedishchef said:
LOL. Who feels like a fool now? Me!!! But hey, now I know what I gotta get done!

Andrew

Construction is like that. Sometimes projects seem mystical. Then, you realize, it's easy. I could do that! :roll:

Swedishchef said:
If the earth catches fire, take me to court. But like firefighterjake said, not for another 1.5 years!

Andrew

We're all burning this planet down. Faster and faster. We know it. We talk about it. But we keep going. Faster and faster. :exclaim: :exclaim: :ahhh:

Status
Not open for further replies.