Hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
Do you guys think one layer of 5/8" cement board (Durock) under a thick layer (2") of stone will be sufficient to keep my house from burning and the insurance company happy?

depends on the fireplace your putting in

whats the R-value needed for floor protection

you might be around .3 with that Durock and I set mine up where the durock met the minimum R value and the stone was the "bonus" r value protection

We need to know what stove is sitting on that hearth before we can answer the question. Some stoves are fine with it and others not.

It's a REGENCY 3100 standing on legs. The only thing the owners manual says about floor requirements is that "a combustible floor must be covered by a non-combustible material (like concrete board, tile ....)" and size requirements. Nothing is said about R values.

So I guess it's okay to put it on a stone over concrete board base. I got concerned when I read about the complicated installations and R value calculations described on this board.

Sounds like you are fine with your plan. Take some pictures of that big beauty burning. That's a fine stove.

Sounds like all you need is non-combustible ember protection to the distances around the stove spelled out in the manual. Rick

Yes, exactly. I got a little thrown off by the requirements of other stove owners - thought I may be missing something. I guess some stoves get hotter than other at the base.

I got my Regency for $250 delivered - a CL special. I bought it before I figured out how to use my Temp-Wood top loader that came with the house. It heated up quick and strong. I'm hoping my Regency will be better because my house leaks warm air.

I installed new windows and added a little insulation. Last winter I felt like I heated the great outdoors. . . .had to sit near the wood stove on cold days . . . felt like I was living in a hunting cabin. The only other way I got warm was by splitting wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.