1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikemc53

mikemc53 Member

Loc:
    SE Michigan
    OK, gonna be a first time wood burner. Expect some really dumb questions - and the first has to do with hearth pads.

I've skimmed through a few pages of the forum and looked at some questions in this regard already, but I'm still pretty foggy on this. Can one of those (very cheap) Imperial stove pads that are sold at Lowes and other stores for around $60, actually serve the purpose of a protective hearth pad, or would you need something else to go along with it?

The stove is an Englander, or actually a Summers Heat by England Stoves model 50-SNC13LC. The room that the stove is going in has hardwood floors so obviously there is a need for a pad. Just wondering about the pad that I mentioned (above) because I had seen in a thread about cheap temporary pads that a few members had mentioned that particular method.

Is it doable?

Thanks
    Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. crazy_dan

crazy_dan New Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    does the Manuel say anything about r-values or just ember protection?

It would work for a PE as it says for ember protection only.
  3. Alan Gage

Alan Gage Member

Loc:
    NW Iowa
    I've got the same stove and the manual calls for an insulation value of R2 under the stove; which seems a bit much to me but hey, it's what they want.

I laid down some steel studs that give a 4" air space, put a layer of dura-rock on top of that, then finished it off with 12" brick paving stones. First year burning and so far so good. Doesn't seem to get hot enough under the stove to warrant all that R value but it's better safe than sorry I guess.

Alan
  4. alexei27

alexei27 New Member

Loc:
    eastern LI
    I have a summers Heat. Buried in the instructions are the words " for ember protection"...and it says a specific "r" value is not needed. I had to really search for this...but it's in there.
  5. bmwloco

bmwloco Member

Loc:
    Asheville NC
    My "hearth pad" is a nice slab of granite, secured from a secret site near my home in the mountains of North Carolina.

It serves two purposes. First, it keeps the embers from falling onto the floor and scoring the hardwood. Secondly, it keeps our 16 year old chocolate lab from getting her head stuck under the stove, something her sister was very apt to do. They love to get as close to it as they can.
  6. edthedawg

edthedawg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast, CT
    Since granite doesn't seem to have much of an actual R-value, the obvious questions are: 1 - what's under that granite? and 2 - what's above it?
  7. bmwloco

bmwloco Member

Loc:
    Asheville NC
    Underneath, just a few patches of anti-scuff padding for the floor. Above, the shelf on the VC Resolute II. The stove actually sits on the fireplace hearth stone, behind it, the decommissioned and utterly useless gas logs my wife insisted on.

Three winters, no problems.
  8. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I'm reading through the manual right now and I find the following regarding "floor protection"
  9. edthedawg

Loc:
    Northeast, CT
    R2 is fairly easy to obtain without breaking the bank or your construction skill set too badly. Steel studs, Wonderboard/Durock, Versabond mortar, and some cheap HD tiles, and you're well on your way for probably $150...
  10. MontanaBob

MontanaBob New Member

Loc:
    Western Montana
    I too have an Englander 13. I built this pad using 3/4 " plywood then 1/4" air space then 1/2" durock then 1/4" air space then 1/2" durock and finally 1/4" slate tiles. Encased in Oak trim. Total cost about $165. Supposedly the air space gets me to the R2 value. This air sapce was created with 1/4" durock cut into furring strips. Everone told me I overbuilt it, but......

Attached Files:

11. ChipTam

ChipTam Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE Michigan and Trinity, Newfoundland
    I considered using that Imperial stove board for my hearth pad but re-thought it and made my own hearth pad. You can figure that the 1/2" Imperial stove board has an R-value of around .42. Trying to find out information regarding R-values from Imperial is frustrating to say the least. The company gives no information about R-values at their web site and several messages left at their 800 assistance number were never returned.

I purchased one of their stove boards and, only then, did the installation information say that one layer of their stove board equals the R-value of one layer of 3/8" asbestos mill board (which is no longer made). Since my 20 year-old stove called for two layers of 3/8" asbestos mill board and requires an R-value of .84 I figured that the Imperial board has an R-value of about .42. As I mentioned, I returned the Imperial stove board and made my own pad. I must have required a larger size pad than you needed for your stove since I paid $130 for one pad. Two pads would have worked for me but I was able to make my own for much less.

ChipTam
  12. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
  13. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I was hoping to use a homemade pad made of durock with bricks mortared on it. I’m getting the impression my R-Value wouldn’t be enough using that. Intuition tells me that should be adequate, but the numbers don’t look right to me.

Another nice thing about having a brick hearth would be the thermal mass of the thing. Is that something I should even worry about?

Advice? opinions? I'm looking at the same stove that the OP is.
  14. edthedawg

Loc:
    Northeast, CT
    3" brick + 1/2" Durock would give you about R 0.8. Thermal mass = yes. Insulation = no. Kinda makes sense - wouldn't want your insulation to have great heat retention properties...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.