Hearth Pads & Floor Protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks GREAT!
Man you are going to get some heat upstairs when that baby starts cranking.
Whats the floor plan of the house like?

That's a very sharp looking instal, Mayhem.... I like that boarder of the small stones.... how big of a PIA is that going to be to do the grout once they are all layed out?

Harley said:
That's a very sharp looking instal, Mayhem.... I like that boarder of the small stones.... how big of a PIA is that going to be to do the grout once they are all layed out?

Probably less of a pain than the big tiles. A blemish/extra grout on some river rock will look au natural when it is all done and dried ;)

One BAD point about his install, I want have hearth envy and too many irons in the fire to re-do mine :(

Thanks for the compliments guys, I'll do more pictures as I go along.

- The area to the right will be for a small wood rack. I hope to have it hold a day's worth of wood, but I haven't gotten to playing around in my head with how I want to arrange it. I also need to accomdate tools and an ash can since the 3610 ash pan design leaves alot to be desired by looking at it.
- The river rocks ought to grout up just fine. I like a challenge, but I think that if I just smear it all over and then scree it off it will fill in all the little random holes just fine...I use a soft putty knife to apply grout so its pretty easy to get it in there.
- The house is a log cabin, cape - shaped, my avatar is a photo of the front. The front is a great room that holds kitchen, dining and living rooms in one large space, a huge wall of windows facing just a hair south of due west. We have about 1750 square feet of living space, but the footprint would have us at about 2300 square feet if the front room were a full second story, so when shopping I was looknig at stoves for 2000 sq feet plus. We've placed the stove at nearly the dead center of the whole house so it ought to be pretty effective.

Rough cost-wise.
Stove, $1800
Chimney pipe (21' of double wall interior pipe, roof passthrough and 6' of exterior metalbestos) $1000.
Chimney installaltion labor $900
Hearthpad: lumber (6 10' 2x4 and 5/8 4x8 plywood), $60, hardibacker (10 3x5 boards) $60, 3 boxes of 13x13 porcelain tile $60, river rock edging (don't have final cost as I haven't finished this part, estimated) $300, mortar, grout, etc $25.

I'm pretty pleased with the hearthpad so far, but we'll see how it looks when its done. The stove place wanted $450 for a simple floor covering so I opted to research the code requirements and build my own instead.

Chimney guy cancelled today due to weather, reschedule in 2 weeks...I should probably have most of the rest done by then.

The ash pans are a pleasure to work with. Keep the ash bucket OUTSIDE though, emptying ashes inside = LOTS of DUST

The tool that you may have no clue what it is (the rectangluar one) is for the ash pans.

Nice looking hearth and stove, good quality woorkmanship to boot.

babalu87 said:
The ash pans are a pleasure to work with. Keep the ash bucket OUTSIDE though, emptying ashes inside = LOTS of DUST

The tool that you may have no clue what it is (the rectangluar one) is for the ash pans.

You mean the little cast iron thing that came in the bag witht he manuals? I kind of figured that since it does bear a passing resemblance to a camping fire pot holder...I was referring to the relatively small size of the pans though and the fact that they sit on the floor of the pan area instead of mounting to some sort of slider that allows them to hug the grate. I'll learn more how it works as I go, no doubt...so long as I run it properly it may put out significantly less ash than I'm thinking it will. How often do you have to empty your pans during the winter while operating your stove normally?

Nice looking hearth and stove, good quality woorkmanship to boot.

Thank you very much. Coming from you thats a real compliment...you must really see the gamut of great to severe fire hazard.

Those ashpans hold A LOT of ash.
The stove works better with a "dirty" grate IE I try not to keep it to clean as it burns better with an ashbed on the grates.
I have emptied them with the stove on a HOT coal bed with no issues. I have to admit it took me a while to figure out what that tool was for.

Status
Not open for further replies.