Hearth pads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All depends on the stove. Our Jotul is pretty forgiving as well with the built-in bottom heatshield and big ash bin.

It all depends on the stove. For the Woodstocks & many others that is probably an adequate hearth. For a Hearthstone or VC probably not so much. Lopi/Avalon allows 3/8" tile over plywood. It's usually a matter of how tall the stoves legs are and whether or not there is a convection chamber/ashpan in between the firefloor and the hearth.

Like others have said, it all depends on the stove. Check with your manufacturer for the thermal resistance requirements for your stove. The requirements are for worst case scenario. For instance, I can put my hand on the marble tile under my Castine after it has been running hot all day and it is simply warm to the touch. BTW, different tile materials will have different thermal resistance ratings...

Status
Not open for further replies.