Hearth project started (With pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
certified106 said:
Ray, It looks great!! You should be thrilled with how well it all came out. Have you installed the blower yet? I put mine on the other day and I am suprised at how quiet it is compared to the blower on my Dutchwest.

Thanx Cert! I ordered the blower and it is on backorder and will be added.. I look forward to testing this stove out and seeing the secondaries kick in! The stove should be inspected next week and I can burn it at that point.. I am pleased with the new look of the hearth tile and even happier that it handled the weight of the stove with no problem.. The hearth seems very sturdy and overall for something I have never done before feel it looks decent despite the flaws.. Amazingly the tile surrounding the stove on 3 sides is exactly 3 tiles which provides slightly over 18" and goes above code.. All the planning was worth it!

Ray

VCBurner said:
BrowningBAR said:
When's the Encore getting installed? Mine will be installed on the week of August 15th.

Hey Browning,

How goes it? So you got an encore heh?! I wish you the best of luck with it and hope it brings you a lifetime of good service. Mine will be in early October. Good to hear from you.

Chris

October eh? Where will the Encore reside? Did you expand your livingroom hearth at the front to provide the 16" required at the front of the stove Chris?

Ray

That install turned out real nice Ray, I bet your just itchin to break her in.

Todd said:
That install turned out real nice Ray, I bet your just itchin to break her in.

Thanx Todd!! Yeah I look forward to seeing the 1st fire in it.. Hopefully it will provide adequate heat and overnight burns..

Ray

raybonz said:
October eh? Where will the Encore reside? Did you expand your livingroom hearth at the front to provide the 16" required at the front of the stove Chris?

Ray
I have not extended the hearth yet but I do have one solid piece of slate that I'll be cutting to put down as a hearth pad. I will use the existing red tile as a border to tie it in with the brick fireplace.

VCBurner said:
raybonz said:

Ray
I have not extended the hearth yet but I do have one solid piece of slate that I'll be cutting to put down as a hearth pad. I will use the existing red tile as a border to tie it in with the brick fireplace.

That sounds interesting Chris look forward to the pics on this project! There is a place in Carver (Timeless Stoneworks) that works with massive stone slabs you should check them sometime.. They are located on Rt. 58 and I stopped in there and they can cut that slab for you and also finish the edges.. Price isn't too bad in my opinion.. They priced cutting 1-1/4" bluestone (2 pcs.) ripping down 2- 4' cuts for $100.00.. I supply the stone...

Ray

Ray, you did a great job on that install and learned a lot. You are to be congratulated on some mighty fine work. I hope it freezes soon so you can try it out. Well, I hope it does turn much cooler at least.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ray, you did a great job on that install and learned a lot. You are to be congratulated on some mighty fine work. I hope it freezes soon so you can try it out. Well, I hope it does turn much cooler at least.

Thanx Dennis! With all this heat and humidity I am looking forward to cold!

Ray

VCBurner said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Is the Encore going in the basement and the Dutchwest staying in the family room? Or is the Dutch going back downstairs?

Wow, Ray. That really came out nice.
Now, do your break in fires, and put the pics up.
Yes, I meant now......do it now!! Ok, J/K. :cheese:
I can't wait to see it in action and hear how it works for you. I love stories with a good ending.

PapaDave said:
Wow, Ray. That really came out nice.
Now, do your break in fires, and put the pics up.
Yes, I meant now......do it now!! Ok, J/K. :cheese:
I can't wait to see it in action and hear how it works for you. I love stories with a good ending.

Thanx Dave! This week I should have the inspection done then it's off to the races as long as the weather stays cool which is not likely so it could be a while.. This stove has a steel firebox and panels of cast iron so I do not think there really is a break in other than baking the paint..

Ray

Ray, my dealer said that they definitely still need a break in fire. First one is real small kindling and a couple of chunks then each fire gets a little bit bigger. He said he reccomended at least three break in fires before letting the fourth one slowly get up to full operating temperature. The first two fires I had showed just how moisture was in the bricks and you could literally see the water running out of them. It is definitely different than the dutchwest when it is heating up and you will hear some pinging during the first couple of fires. I can't wait to year how you like the view of the fire !

certified106 said:
Ray, my dealer said that they definitely still need a break in fire. First one is real small kindling and a couple of chunks then each fire gets a little bit bigger. He said he reccomended at least three break in fires before letting the fourth one slowly get up to full operating temperature. The first two fires I had showed just how moisture was in the bricks and you could literally see the water running out of them. It is definitely different than the dutchwest when it is heating up and you will hear some pinging during the first couple of fires. I can't wait to year how you like the view of the fire !

Thanx for the advice Cert I will do as you mentioned.. Better safe than sorry!

Ray

OK the stove passed inspection however the inspector was concerned with my rear clearance because it was less than the manual.. The thing is what is behind the stove is the chimney with cultured stone over it.. In my mind this is non-combustible and my old stove was MUCH closer.. In the end he passed it (I was at work) because this stove has a built in rear heat shield.. I think he was a little confused as he said I barely passed in the front but if you measure from the stove BODY NOT the ash lip as the manual shows I have close to 19" which exceeds USA codes.. Bottom line is I can burn but it's too friggin hot to do so anyways lol.. The only thing left now is to trim the hearth in red oak! Yay!

Ray

Sounds like you are correct on both points. The rear clearance is to the nearest combustible, not the nearest surface. The front clearance is measured from the front door glass to the front edge of the hearth.

BeGreen said:
Sounds like you are correct on both points. The rear clearance is to the nearest combustible, not the nearest surface. The front clearance is measured from the front door glass to the front edge of the hearth.

Thanx BG I agree and feel I will be fine and as I said it was passed probably because he was a bit unsure... The distance to the actual combustible wall is 3' from front of the chimney which the stove sits in front of.. Once they mail the papers I will send them to the insurance company for their records..

Ray

Ray, you are correct the 18" is from the front glass of the stove so you are fine. Glad everything passed and you are ready to light it up....Well except for the fact it's still to stinking hot.

certified106 said:
Ray, you are correct the 18" is from the front glass of the stove so you are fine. Glad everything passed and you are ready to light it up....Well except for the fact it's still to stinking hot.

Thanx Jesse! It's been 90 here and humid most of the time.. Fall is starting to look good!

Ray

Well Ray, the heating season begins next month! Time is short so get that thing ready! Glad you passed and are about ready.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well Ray, the heating season begins next month! Time is short so get that thing ready! Glad you passed and are about ready.

If we stick to seasonal average, wood burning won't begin until October. I hope.

BrowningBAR said:
Backwoods Savage said:

If we stick to seasonal average, wood burning won't begin until October. I hope.

October here and only on occasion until late Oct...

Ray

Just thought I'd take some stove interior pics before it is ever burned in for future reference.. The welds look solid to me and the firebox roomy with no obstructions.. North-South loading will prevent log roll out plus the firebox is pretty deep to keep ashes inside.. The ash dump seems pretty cool and should be OK..

Ray

Attachments

• 2011 08 05 001 (Medium).jpg
    2011 08 05 001 (Medium).jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 225
  • 2011 08 05 002 (Medium).jpg
    2011 08 05 002 (Medium).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 2011 08 05 003 (Medium).jpg
    2011 08 05 003 (Medium).jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 2011 08 05 004 (Medium).jpg
    2011 08 05 004 (Medium).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 2011 08 05 005 (Medium).jpg
    2011 08 05 005 (Medium).jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 218
Look at all that purdy stainless, you sure you want to ruin it by burning it? ;-)

Todd said:
Look at all that purdy stainless, you sure you want to ruin it by burning it? ;-)

LOL Todd maybe I'll wax it 1st.. Still mid 70's here so a bit warm to burn in but am thinking about a couple small fires to bake the paint.. Good time to do it as I am alone right now..

Ray

raybonz said:
Todd said:

LOL Todd maybe I'll wax it 1st.. Still mid 70's here so a bit warm to burn in but am thinking about a couple small fires to bake the paint.. Good time to do it as I am alone right now..

Ray

If you weren't so darned ornery Ray, you wouldn't be alone now. :)

It won't be long before a couple of those small fires will feel good but getting the initial burns done is good too. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.