Hearth protection help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stover09

Jan 9, 2024
New Jersey
The fire inspector is stating that my hearth protection doesn’t extend 48 for the corner on one wall . The wall is only 27” if I made that wall 48” it would extend far into the room opening . My question is if the wall isn’t 48 “ or longer does the cover need to be that long?
B13995E7-C622-42E4-B3E4-C0A0FBF39A30.jpeg

Is the inspector referring to the wall shielding? If so, that doen't look like valid protection at all. If the stove has the proper clearances it is unnecessary.

Is this being done for corner clearance reduction? Is this for an Intrepid? If so, which model, 2115?
Where is this 48" rule coming from? Does the right side wall have 48" of the wall board "protection"?

Last edited:
It would be good to get a clarification. If it's for the model 2115, the hearth pad length is specified at 44 7/8" for straight sides. It's shown as 40 1/2" per side for a corner install. Did you show him the manual diagrams?

Looking at the install the main clearance concern would be to the casing trim of the room opening. That should be at least 15". The floor hearth pad looks ok and equal length on each side with ample protection in front.