hearth question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I 'am a nubie I have another question . Can you build a hearth without having 1" of air space between the non combustible material . I have an existing pellet stove I will replace with a wood stove . Where the stove will sit and the existing hole for chimney there will be a problem with clearance to a combustible wall. Is it legal to go with durarock and let's say slate without a 1" air gap. Thanks in advance for info

prescottonian said:
Since I 'am a nubie I have another question . Can you build a hearth without having 1" of air space between the non combustible material . I have an existing pellet stove I will replace with a wood stove . Where the stove will sit and the existing hole for chimney there will be a problem with clearance to a combustible wall. Is it legal to go with durarock and let's say slate without a 1" air gap. Thanks in advance for info

Depends upon the stove requirements. Some require a minimum of a certain R value.

I looking to buy an Englander 13 and it has specific R value for floor which is no Problemo because it is tile . The manual specifically says you can cut up to 2/3 distance with an 1" air gap . I don't need that much. I was hoping to gain a little bit with duraroc and slate. I don't want to use heat shields and double wall flew pipe because of the expense .

If the question is can an non-ventilated wall act as a max prototection, NFPA 211 wall shield?, the answer is no. But that may not be what you need. Give us the stove make/model and actual clearances you are working with. That way we can provide a better response. If you can include pictures they are always helpful.

Cross posted. What is the tile floor laid on, cement floor or wood underneath?

prescottonian said:
I looking to buy an Englander 13 and it has specific R value for floor which is no Problemo because it is tile . The manual specifically says you can cut up to 2/3 distance with an 1" air gap . I don't need that much. I was hoping to gain a little bit with duraroc and slate. I don't want to use heat shields and double wall flew pipe because of the expense .

Sorry, I thought you were asking about floor protection.

what is the tile floor laid on is it on a slab or on a second floor because some stoves require more than ember protection and tile is not a insulator it transfers heat kinda well , so if there is plywood or joists under the tile that could be an issue... also same with durock it doesnt have a high R value you might need that 1" air space

prescottonian said:
I looking to buy an Englander 13 and it has specific R value for floor which is no Problemo because it is tile . .

Tile is non-combustible, but doesn't have a lot of R value to protect a combustible material below the tile. If all you have is tile over wood, you may need to find a stove to suit the floor. Some stoves require only noncumbustible floor, others require a certain R value. I don't know what an Englander 13 requires.

I'm thinking about just laying brick with no airspace. Not sure if that'd be o.k. or not. Might be an idea.

***Is it legal to go with durarock and let’s say slate without a 1†air gap.Is it legal to go with durarock and let’s say slate without a 1†air gap.***

That would make the wall Non-combustible, the way I think.
But legal means the way lawyers think.

Maybe, don't ask, if you feel it's safe, should be good to go.

OK, the floor issue sounds like it's fine. Had to ask, the 13NC had high hearth insulation requirements. That doesn't answer the original question. What will the proposed clearances be to the rear and side of the stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.