Hearth Renovation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uncastrash

Hearth Supporter
Jul 8, 2008
Southeastern Connecticut
Hello there, first off I must thanks all that contribute to this forum. I've picked up so much info since I bought my house & decided to start burning.

That leads me to my problem/question:
I'm planning on having a Jotul C450 installed in my masonry fireplace which is on the inside wall of my living room. (see photo attachment)

The hearth is currently flush with the floor, I plan on raising by 1.5"-2".

I removed the aprox 1" of bluestone that was set into aprox 1.5" of concrete mud and am down to aprox 2.75" poured, reinforced concrete which is set over flooring studs & wood planks.

The Jotul manual calls for appropriate hearth protection of r2.92. (see photo attachment)
Now I've read that the following two methods will both work well. Considering that I have to start on a concrete slab, which is the better way to go to achieve the appropriate r value? Either method will get me well clear of the required 2.92.

A) steel studs, air channel, and .5" Durock layers

B) A 'sandwich' method of .5" Micore 300 and .5" Durock layers

If I choose method B, how many layers of Durock can be stacked on top of Micore without squashing the product or is this not a problem? Also, should I drop a layer of .75" plywood on top of the concrete slab so that I have a substrate for the Durock to attach via Durock screws?

Thanks,
Sal

Attachments

• fp_before.jpg
    fp_before.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 199
  • hearth.jpg
    hearth.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 210
  • cross_section_2.gif
    cross_section_2.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 194