Hearth Repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rook_ki

Mar 2, 2013
In preparation for my BK Princess inserts, I have to repair my hearth. 3 of the 4 bluestone were so lose that I can lift them right up. After removing the blue stones, I see that they were being supported/secured on a few yellow bricks with mortars. Can I use regular red bricks and mortars from HD/Lowes or must I use refractory bricks and mortars? I posed the question to 2 of my local mason retailers. 1 said yes and 1 said no. I asked my friend who's a GC and he said no. I asked my stove installation contractor and he said yes. I asked my local fire inspector and he doesn't know. Would appreciate any much feedbacks. Thank you.

I would say no. the fireplace interior is part of the structure of the house. Unless the fireplace has been altered so it can never be used as a fireplace again, it should be repaired correctly. If it can never be used as a fireplace again, there should be a metal place affixed to the back fireplace wall stating this. It should be no big deal for the mason to get these bricks, they are common.

There is no reason to use firebrick or refractory cement unless its going to be exposed to open flames and intense heat. Since you are putting in an insert, this won't be the case. Either way, it will under the blue stone right?

Can it be guaranteed that it won't be used for direct fire in the future? Inspectors need to think about the next home buyer as well as the current one.

Can it be guaranteed that it won't be used for direct fire in the future? Inspectors need to think about the next home buyer as well as the current one.
That's true. But from what I understand, it sounds like the brick in question is under the hearth. ? If so they would never be exposed to the flames of an open fire.

I'm yet to meet a home inspector that's even knows the difference between firebrick and standard brick. In this area they aren't very with it. It's important for homeowners to educate themselves!

Status
Not open for further replies.