Hearth rug fire resistance comparison

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Attaboy

Jan 2, 2017
The great white north
The attached You Tube video demonstration is a bit exaggerated as normally the role of a hearth rug is to protect various floorings from a popping ember or a small flying piece of coal jumping out of the stove past the fireproof hearth on to the floor or on to room carpeting, most often the popping ember or small flying coal will be there for a few seconds only until removed or someone puts its out, many times not causing any or very little visible damage. However the demonstration and its result is very valid as a supplemental protection instrument.

Personally we use a treated fire resistant wool hearth rug as it is extremely effective and far prettier, it does its job extremely well for us.

Nice video and explanation of what to expect with each component...... I still wish she had a legit fire going in the stove as I had a hard time turning away from the low quality burn. But, that's just me. Nice regardless.

pen

Nice video and explanation of what to expect with each component...... I still wish she had a legit fire going in the stove as I had a hard time turning away from the low quality burn. But, that's just me. Nice regardless.

pen

Yeah! Looks as if the stove is burning so low that it is just smoking up and creosoting the flue and chimney

Reactions: pen
Chimney cleaning demo coming up at 4.

Reactions: pen