Hearth Rug / heat shield for Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambx

Jan 10, 2011
Southern Connecticut
I have been operating the Fieview for a couple of weeks now - its going great however I was wondering if there exists a rug or thin pad that couldl help dissipate some of the heat coming from my Fireview window. As you can see my Fireview sits 8 inches (min required by woodstock) from my wood floor - the floor does get very hot when the stove is pushing 500F - I really can not push the stove back into the fireplace opening much furthure and for just a piece of mind I would like to place something like a half moon style rug to help reflect some of this heat - does anything like that exist?

As you can see my hearth is flush with the floor.

Any ideas?..

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• IMG00895-20111003-1331.jpg
    IMG00895-20111003-1331.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 626
  • DSCN2567.jpg
    DSCN2567.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 845
There are several styles of hearth rugs you can choose from. Designs and pricing vary greatly and you should be able to find something that meets your needs.

BrowningBAR said:
There are several styles of hearth rugs you can choose from. Designs and pricing vary greatly and you should be able to find something that meets your needs.

Thanks I appreciate the response and I have searched high and low but every hearth "rug" I look at states they are "not" to be used as "heat shields" but only for ember protection etc. I am looking for something thin / rug like to help absorb some of the heat - ember protection is not a requirement.

Jambx said:
BrowningBAR said:

Thanks I appreciate the response and I have searched high and low but every hearth "rug" I look at states they are "not" to be used as "heat shields" but only for ember protection etc. I am looking for something thin / rug like to help absorb some of the heat - ember protection is not a requirement.

If you are concerned about heat, you should check out BeGreen's post. Though, I would believe the Hearth Rugs would provide enough protection as your clearances are already good.

The stove board is made of steel over mineral board and does insulate the floor underneath it. But if a rug is desired, be sure it is wool or fiberglass. There are dozens of sellers on the internet or local fireplace shops.

Jim, it is surprising that you have a heat problem there. Our floors do indeed stay warm but never get hot. Even directly under the stove it does not get hot.

Also, do you have a rear heat shield on the Fireview? It usually is good to have when the stove is in the fireplace opening like yours.

There are also several hearth rugs that are not fireproof but fire resistant. That could help with any wayward embers. Another thing that could help with the embers is the ash pan that Woodstock sells. It is a perfect fit to place right at the firebox door and it is difficult to make a mess with that. Works like a charm.

Thanks guys - I really appreciate all the input and will look into the stove board (which is a little thick at .9 inches) and the rugs.

Dennis - any stray embers (and the door side) isnt the problem but my wood floor in front of the glass is - I can describe it but it really heats up quite a bit. I am going to get a ir thermometer and measure the temp at the surface but I am sure if I was able to place a rug that could just take up some of the heat it would do the trick. Being all at floor level though I really wasn't looking to get anything too thick as it could be a tripping hazard for visitors although I would pick it up when we werent burning.

Jambx said:
Thanks guys - I really appreciate all the input and will look into the stove board (which is a little thick at .9 inches) and the rugs.

Dennis - any stray embers (and the door side) isnt the problem but my wood floor in front of the glass is - I can describe it but it really heats up quite a bit. I am going to get a ir thermometer and measure the temp at the surface but I am sure if I was able to place a rug that could just take up some of the heat it would do the trick. Being all at floor level though I really wasn't looking to get anything too thick as it could be a tripping hazard for visitors although I would pick it up when we werent burning.

You could always combine the two and put a rug over the stove board to improve the looks. Might hide the thickness of the board as well.

Jambx said:

Good idea on the IR gun. Handy little things they are.

Jambx said:

Can you put your hand on the floor and keep it there for a few seconds? If so, it is hot, but well within safe temps.

BeGreen said:
Jambx said:

Can you put your hand on the floor and keep it there for a few seconds? If so, it is hot, but well within safe temps.

If that is a good estimate of hot vs very HOT than that makes me feel a little more at easy. I can hold it there indefinitely with no ill effects to my hand it just feels - hot to the touch. With that in mind maybe a simple rug would suffice. I hope I didnt cry wolf on this one but I am new at "real" wood buring and feel that when one invites fire into the home one can not be too careful!

Thanks again all,

~jim

Jambx said:
BeGreen said:
Jambx said:

If that is a good estimate of hot vs very HOT than that makes me feel a little more at easy. I can hold it there indefinitely with no ill effects to my hand it just feels - hot to the touch. With that in mind maybe a simple rug would suffice. I hope I didnt cry wolf on this one but I am new at "real" wood buring and feel that when one invites fire into the home one can not be too careful!

Thanks again all,

~jim

No such thing as crying wolf when you are concerned about your house catching fire.

Agreed, never be reluctant to ask about a safety issue. Plus, we got to see your nice installation. I think you're fine. If you can hold your hand there indefinitely then it is not too hot, probably only about 110-115 degrees. Up to about 170F is considered safe.

The hearth for my Keystone is flush to the floor with carpet surrounding it. Because of the room size, I wanted to minimize the intrusion of the hearth into it and made the hearth pad to the minimum dimensions per Woodstock's recommendations, including 8 inches in front of the glass.

We are just getting started again this year, but last year, we burned the stove hard to keep things warm on the coldest days. The hearth pad feels hot, the carpet feels hot right in front of the glass, but not hot enough that I can't hold my hand on it, or stand with bare feet. In fact, that hot spot in front of the glass is the dog's favorite spot in the winter, though we have to have a water dish close by so she can rehydrate after a hot nap.... ;)

If you are concerned about the heat, I'd go with a very nice looking hearth rug to complement your install. I've got one of those Imperial hearth pads under my basement installed Englander and that thing is UGLY!!! Seeing the pics of your install, I wouldn't put one of those things near that Fireview.

Great stove you got and a beautiful install.

Good luck,
Bill

leeave96 said:
. I've got one of those Imperial hearth pads under my basement installed Englander and that thing is UGLY!!!

lmao I have the exact same one as you and thought the same thing. I'm glad you feel the same so I don't insult you when I call mine ugly. I am thrilled to have it though! I should have at least gotten the straight black.

BeGreen said:
The stove board is made of steel over mineral board and does insulate the floor underneath it. But if a rug is desired, be sure it is wool or fiberglass. There are dozens of sellers on the internet or local fireplace shops.

Or for a truly unique and fire safe look . . . adopt a sheep as a pet and have her lie down in front of the stove. :)

They make a stove board that's just 18" deep that they call a "hearth extender" -that's what I have in front of mine. It's not terribly attractive but you can pull it up when the stove's not going. I wish they made one with diagonal cut corners - or rounded - to fit in front better, somehow I feel like that might look a little less intrusive, but they only seem to come in rectangles.

Haybale said:
I recommend a black lab. Mine is very good at laying in front of the wood stove to collect all the heat:)

But only if the black lab is wearing a coat made out of wool or fiberglass. ;)

Is the bottom heat shield on?
Mine has a little notch where you can store the door handle.
It just looks like a piece of tin. I had to install it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.