Hearth rugs - I want to hear from the code nazis

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeathens

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ohio
I did a search and couldn't come up with info I'm looking for. From looking at the posts, it appears that code inspectors won't accept hearth rugs in order to meet minimum requirements. The hearth that my heritage sits on is about 6" short on the side door, and 4" short on the front (it was originally built for a much smaller stove). I think that my wife has decided on the Mansfield for a replacement for the heritage - in which case our side protection will be met, but the front will be way short.

I am wondering if the hearth rug will provide the protection I need? I know the argument is made that it's not "permanent", but...will it provide the protection necessary? The Mansfield only requires "non-combustible" surfaces, with no R value specified. Also, the floor is Pergo on top of concrete slab. I have plans to cut the pergo and stick tile on top of the concrete in the future to meet min. requirements, but as short-term fix, was hoping to use a good hearth rug.

The problem that I see is that hearth rugs only have to meet the same flammability standards as a plain old piece of carpet. I have used them on top of my regular UL floor protection and embers have melted holes through every one of them.

I have seen some made from synthetic materials and some made from wool. If these things will do the trick, I will be going with a wool one...how about a hearth rug with a piece of sheet metal underneith?

"HEARTH REQUIREMENTS AND FLOOR
PROTECTION
The unit must be placed on a non-combustible floor
protector that extends 16” in front and 6” to each side of
the unit. If installed in an alcove at reduced clearances
with NFPA 211 wall protection, the area in front of the
unit must have an additional insulative
R-value of .8, or a
listed floor protection must be used.
The floor protector for the stove must have minimum
dimensions of 34-1/2” x 46” (876 x 1168 mm) and must
be placed as illustrated here:"

Page 7 Mansfield Wood Burning Stove
from HearthStone Quality Home Heating Products Inc.
The Mansfield, model 8011 owners manual.

http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/documents/Mansfield8011Manual.pdf

Thats the way to do it. Just follow the instructions. Other wise it is not a UL listed install. Unless the pergo is UL listed and .8 R-value it must be covered by a UL listed floor protection, removed or a non-combustible .8- value hearth installed.

Rugs do not meet the code, although it is possible someone could design and test one to do so. Good idea!

They are for that extra margin of safety, because it has already been proven that sparks can jump much further than 16 or 20". The existing code is pretty much arbitrary, but they have to stop somewhere. In other words, I doubt they have any real evidence that 18 or 20" causes less fires than 16" with a normal stove, etc.

Driftwood - I saw this, and the way I read it, the additional R-value was for alcove installation w/reduced clearances. Otherwise, it is simply a non-combustible floor protector, correct? I guess now is the time to clarify, before I go and do something that's not gonna be adequate.

Edit:

OK, Craig. I guess that answers the question.

Mike from Athens said:
Driftwood - I saw this, and the way I read it, the additional R-value was for alcove installation w/reduced clearances. Otherwise, it is simply a non-combustible floor protector, correct? I guess now is the time to clarify, before I go and do something that’s not gonna be adequate.

"HEARTH REQUIREMENTS AND FLOOR
PROTECTION

If the floor is wood or other combustible flooring, the
stove must be placed on non-combustible floor protection
that extends 16 inches to the front and 8 inches to either
side of the front door opening.
The unit must be placed on a non-combustible floor
protector that extends 16” in front and 6” to each side of
the unit. If installed in an alcove at reduced clearances
with NFPA 211 wall protection, the area in front of the
unit must have an additional insulative R-value of .8, or a
listed floor protection must be used.
The floor protector for the stove must have minimum
dimensions of 34-1/2” x 46” (876 x 1168 mm) and must
be placed as illustrated here:"
Page 7 Mansfield Wood Burning Stove
from HearthStone Quality Home Heating Products Inc.
The Mansfield, model 8011 owners manual.

http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/documents/Mansfield8011Manual.pdf

Any questions as to the installation instructions should be made to

HearthStone Quality Home Heating Products, Inc.
317 Stafford Avenue
Morrisville, VT 05661
(802) 888-5232

Just give them a call.

I've got a "fireproof" rug in front of my stove, that's it. The store I bought it from, which must be the biggest stove seller in NH, said all I would need was a rug, not the hearth-extender pad they also had for sale, which was more expensive than the rug they sold me. Hmmmm.

J-Man said:
I've got a "fireproof" rug in front of my stove, that's it. The store I bought it from, which must be the biggest stove seller in NH, said all I would need was a rug, not the hearth-extender pad they also had for sale, which was more expensive than the rug they sold me. Hmmmm.

So whats the name of this store J ?

Since you asked, its Fireplace Village. I'm not out to bash them, just that it seems someone who moves a few stoves ought to be experienced in code issues that apply to all stoves.

I'm with BB on this one. While it does offer more protection than not having one, it doesn't come close to protecting the surface as a proper hearth or hearth pad would provide. I had one here before extending my hearth, and it does burn though the hearth rug.

Man, what an un-PC world it is today. Even Nazis can't get no respect! I mean, who is speaking for THEM? Every time someone has a beef, they dump on those poor Nazis.

A joke, folks...that's a joke. But someday it might actually become a hate crime to hate nazis. Until then, we will savor one of our last good scapegoats! Soup Nazis, Code Nazis, etc etc.

ANY shop worth a DIME should know the info about Hearth Rugs. There is no excuse for not knowing such a basic fact.

I have seen those rugs smolder but good, and heat can transfer right through them....like when a log rolls out. Basically, the rating on most of these rugs simply means you may have time to pick it up and throw it outside before the flame spreads elsewhere.

Webmaster said:
ANY shop worth a DIME should know the info about Hearth Rugs. There is no excuse for not knowing such a basic fact.

I have seen those rugs smolder but good, and heat can transfer right through them....like when a log rolls out. Basically, the rating on most of these rugs simply means you may have time to pick it up and throw it outside before the flame spreads elsewhere.

OhhhhhhhhNooooooooo...J-man, now you gonna have to make a new hearth. If you're like me, you're going to toss and turn in your sleep, thinking you smell something burning, and run down stairs, but there's nothing burning. So you go back to bed. Did I shut the air control? Did I get that spark that flew out onto my hearth rug? Run downstairs again. Let the fire burn out. Sit staring at your now inadequate hearth rug that you thought was the best thing in the world, until reading this post. And then think, how the hell am I gonna fix this? Don't worry, just another project to tack onto your already too long list of crap to do around the house...

I don't know that I'm that worried about it! It did seem to defy common sense, so I should have gone with my gut and done some more research before buying the rug, which was twice the cost of the pad, and the pad wouldn't already look beat up like the rug does. You're right in that I will add building a hearth extender to the long list of stuff I've got to do - like order and stack 4 cord of CSD wood for next year.

well , in my opinion , a "hearth rug" is more a decorative thing than anything else, granted they should not "burst into flames" on the landing of an ember and would provide some measure of protection to a more difficult to replace flooring in front of the unit , but they should never be used as a replacement for the proper hearth or UL approved floor protector as they are not designed to shield combustible surfaces from heat to the extent that a hearth or hearth pad are. they are simply for use as an additional measure of protection in front of the required hearth in case you have a pop out ember during loading. the rug would likley save the flooring under it from a scorching but only if acted upon quickly.

Hey Mike, no to the rug, yes to a hearth extender. Steel framed stone with proper backer to meet fire code. We got a 48"x 18". They come in all kinds of materials, colors and sizes. We're going to build a red slate extension next year, but for now this does the code thing.
SW

get a hearth extention, or build a new hearth....PERIOD !!! you will meet code, and you will sleep better. A hearth rug is the same as those towels hanging in your guess bathroom.....you can use them, but don't let Mrs Inspector see it!!

Mike from Athens said:
I have seen some made from synthetic materials and some made from wool. If these things will do the trick, I will be going with a wool one...how about a hearth rug with a piece of sheet metal underneith?

I have been told that if wool burns, it gives off phosgene gas.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.