Hearth rugs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riverat

Burning Hunk
Oct 30, 2014
bainbridge,penna
Hello guys, do any of you folks use a Hearth rug instead of a pad ?new Quad MT Vernon kind of used all my play money up for now ,don,t no if they are even legal to use.

Thanks
Jeff

I believe that hearth rugs are still combustible, just not as combustible as your everyday carpet. I could be incorrect though - I'm guessing someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

As for cheap hearth, just to get by for now - you can get cinder blocks or paving stones quite cheaply at a big box store. Also check CL to see if someone is getting rid of a used one (although my experience is they usually want just about as much as a new one).

I saw black hearth pads at my local Lowe's and if I recall there were two sizes and way less expensive than these $300 pads. They looked simple and all black and I think they were around $59 bucks. Didn't pay much attention and really look at them but noticed with a quick glance while in that isle looking for something else. Like I said I could be wrong here but I thought I saw some basic inexpensive ones. Not fancy at all but basic and black which matches everything.

A friend just recycled a used pool table slate into a beautiful hearth pad.
That's a creative and good idea if it fits one's decor. The slates could also be cut however needed also.

Thanks you all for replies to my post I will look at my local lowes today and hope I spot out one like you said Bags

Thank you fellas for some ideas,Dougstove I really like the idea of a used pool table top.

Jeff

I urge you to check out your manual and see if there are specs for a hearth mandated by the company, much less by your town/state. I would "strongly " urge, but I got pounced on last time I used those words, so I am now at a kinder, gentler "urge"

Reactions: bags
A friend just recycled a used pool table slate into a beautiful hearth pad.

Good idea. Just saw in the freebies on CL a slate pool table. too bad it is in NH and not in PA where the OP needs it!

I was told in NH they are ok for,pellet stoves but not for wood stove. Not sure if that is a state-wide thing or just town by town.

I was told in NH they are ok for,pellet stoves but not for wood stove. Not sure if that is a state-wide thing or just town by town.

The OP doesn't seem to be in this state.

Saw that and probably should have added a line for the OP to check with his code officer or zoning folks in his town/city. Also know a lot of NH'ers are regular visitors here so that was my public service message for the day. :)

Reactions: bogieb
Saw that and probably should have added a line for the OP to check with his code officer or zoning folks in his town/city. Also know a lot of NH'ers are regular visitors here so that was my public service message for the day. :)

Hey, and I didn't know that, so it was informative for me too.

Most TSC stores have them for about sixty bucks.

Good find there Ricky

See the lack of clearance in my setup? I have one of these 1/2" pads set up. I can have the stove red hot and the wood is still cool to the touch immediately under the stove. . Its a type of metal with dense ceramic or plaster underneath.

Both of my stoves have been on one of those pads from Lowes for 11 yrs. With no problem.They are mineral board wrapped with metal, I tried burning the mineral board with a torch and no way could I get it to burn.Where there might be a problem is with minimum R values for code.

Thanks to all for the help,and a special thanks to Ricky for finding that pad,have to show that to the better half when she gets home

Jeff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.