Hearth setting for Oslo... Pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eightpilot

Jul 2, 2008
Northern WI
What do you guys think of this setting for an Jotul Oslo. The hearth is 20" deep, so the stove will sit 4 inches from the edge. It's a 2.5" thick slab so I think it will support the stove no problem. What do ya think??? 8

Attachments

• Fireplace 005.bmp
    244.6 KB · Views: 315
Will you build an extension to get the minimum 18" hearth clearance in front of the window?
The stone is very nice looking. I don't think there should be concern about it holding the weight, just the clearance.

'Frank

Clearance's came out OK according to th installer. As long as I use a rear heatshield. I plan on building out a hearth extention to give me the 18" needed from the front. I considered an insert, but you seem to get more bang for the buck with the freestander. Once installed, i want to close in some of the opening with black metal trim to finish it off. 8

That will be a pretty setting. What will you be doing to shield the mantel?

They are going to put up a copper shield that is 7" wide and bends up about an inch in front. It will have 1" spacers on the mounting screws to allow for airflow. The mantel is about 5" too low for clearance from the top of the stove. Should look ok, not that I really have a choice. lol

You could remove it in the spring. No need to have it up while the stove isn't burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.