Hearth Stove vs Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doc623

Jun 2, 2008
OH
I am trying to decide on a hearth stove vs an insert.
I would like to here from those that have either/both.
I would like the pros and cons.
This is not an easy decision nor cheap decision to make.
Any help would be appreciated.
Would like limited cooking surface not as primary but as a stand by.
The house is 3000 sq ft two story. Brick construction 16 years old.
Tha chimney is lined with clay tile and brick exterior.
I have a 4 brick high hearth.
I have an existing masonary chimney with a blower system on the sides and the firebox is lined.
I think that the liner and the blower fans came as a unit.
Any help?
Need more info?

doc623 said:
I am trying to decide on a hearth stove vs an insert.
I would like to here from those that have either/both.
I would like the pros and cons.
Welcome Doc. This is a popular question, there are several discussions on this. Try searching on insert vs freestanding. Here are a couple thread links for starters:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3092/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/2276/

The house is 3000 sq ft two story. Brick construction 16 years old.
Tha chimney is lined with clay tile and brick exterior.
I have a 4 brick high hearth.
I have an existing masonry chimney with a blower system on the sides and the firebox is lined.
I think that the liner and the blower fans came as a unit.

The current setup sounds like it may be a prefab, maybe a Heatilator brand? Is there are model or name plate on the unit? If you can post a picture that will help. We'll need to know this in advance as it restricts options. Regardless of choice, the hearth will likely need to be extended. The stove will need to have an approved hearth extending 18" in front of the door. This is not that big a deal and can be done safely and tastefully. Another thing to consider is if there is a mantle or other combustibles near or above the stove. That may limit/decide options too.

How large is the room where the stove will be? Is the goal for occasional heat or 24/7 burning?

Well the proper free standing stove will adequately heat 3k ft....inserts I dunno.

You NEED a blower with an insert to get the heat out. I think you still need a blower with a freestanding stove but it is not as critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.