Hearth tile is 150 degrees, is this a problem ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FPX Dude

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Radiant heat from glass really get's this tile hot. Yea, hot to the hand, and IR thermo shows 150... My hearth extends 16" and is 16" high. I remember the tiler put some thinset on top of some kind of "backerboard", and then the tile. Carpet in front of that is fine, but I'm wondering if the construction under the hearth could have any issues?

Your hearth should be ok...150 degrees is about 1/3 the combustion temperature of paper...
Ever hear of Ray Bradbury & Fahrenheit 451?
While it's not precise, I use that example ALL the time...
Wood has a higher ignition temp than that, generally in excess of 500*F...
If you read up on house fires & their causes, I bet you don't find anything on the cuase of the fire being the hearthpad...
Just my $.02...

i would contact your tile installer and find out exactly what he put under the tile (wonderboard, durock, etc, how thick it is) how thick is your tile? how far between the tile and the bottom of the stove? these things will help us determine the R value of your current materials. do u have a manual for the stove? if you do, does it specify its minimal clearences to combustibles? WG

I have the FPX insert, window is 12" above the hearth. Uh, it's actually marble (not tile sorry) and I think is 1/2" thick...

yea 1/2" is standard in most tiles/marble. u should be fine, do you have a manual for the insert? it will tell you the recomended clearences and the proper bariers b/t combustibles. is it masonry under the insert? like i said you should be fine based off of what u have described. let me know if you can dig out the manual, im curious to know what it says! WG

Not a probem at all. People comonly run pex directly under there subfloor. The pex can be up to 180 close to the boiler.

This is exactly why your hearth pad must have the proper R-Value. Stuff gets hot! If your hearth pad was built to proper specs, you'll be just fine.

What feels really hot to our skin isn't really all that hot as far as combustion is concerned.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.