Hearth tile lifted from hearth - non-thinset alternatives?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
A corner cut tile lifted from my hearthpad (that I built - my first tile job). I need to reset the tile, but I'm thinking of using a high-temp silicone, or similar material, rather than mix thinset, and then regrout. Any problem with this idea? Suggestions for best material? Cheers!

I had that happen on my hearth, also my first tile job, and re-thinsetted and re-grouted. I think I must have not put enough thinset under them originally. I just smeared more where the tile was supposed to go and made sure the spacers were in the right place.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
I had that happen on my hearth, also my first tile job, and re-thinsetted and re-grouted. I think I must have not put enough thinset under them originally. I just smeared more where the tile was supposed to go and made sure the spacers were in the right place.

Matt

Hi Matt - yes, I figured I could do that, but was worried I might have a hard time getting the tile to sit flush with an extra coat of thinset (didn't want to chip at the old thinset). Cheers!

This has come up a couple times with some other folks. Just out of curiosity, what was used under the tile? Plywood, durarock, tile backer, concrete?

Plywood, then durock, then tiles (all on 2x4's stood on their sides). Cheers!

On mine I had a ply subfloor, 2 layers of Micore 300, Hardibacker and then the tile.

If the tile sat level before, it should sit level again. The new thinset will squish into the openings between the old thinset lines. It will just be supported better.

Off topic: I spent the day in the rain with the pup collecting OBL, FAC and FACW plants. It was an excellent use of time... except when it came time to put them in a press! :lol:

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
On mine I had a ply subfloor, 2 layers of Micore 300, Hardibacker and then the tile.

If the tile sat level before, it should sit level again. The new thinset will squish into the openings between the old thinset lines. It will just be supported better.

Off topic: I spent the day in the rain with the pup collecting OBL, FAC and FACW plants. It was an excellent use of time... except when it came time to put them in a press! :lol:

Matt

Definitely a good way to spend some time! I really hit the wildflowers hard this summer in WV - hit the shrubs real hard last year. Plan to hit the grasses/sedges next summer. Cheers!

If you properly schmeared the thinset with the first application then there shouldn't be much space for another layer.

Highbeam said:
If you properly schmeared the thinset with the first application then there shouldn't be much space for another layer.

Highbeam - yes, this is partly why I was hoping that a thin layer of high temp adhesive might do the trick. Cheers!

I have replaced lifted tiles using construction adhesive, and with good results. Don't know about the temperature issues though.

mywaynow said:
I have replaced lifted tiles using construction adhesive, and with good results. Don't know about the temperature issues though.

Cool - the tile doesn't get super hot, can leave my hand on the tile while the stove is cranking, so I think I'll give it a shot. Worse that will happen is the tile will lift again I guess......Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
mywaynow said:

Cool - the tile doesn't get super hot, can leave my hand on the tile while the stove is cranking, so I think I'll give it a shot. Worse that will happen is the tile will lift again I guess......Cheers!
Just info......IMO......I have used this stuff and it is strong http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_ca_400/overview/Loctite-PL-400-SubFloor-&-Deck-Adhesive.htm. In fact, I used it to glue back one brick that came loose from the edge of my hearth and it has been solid now for many years.

tfdchief said:
NH_Wood said:
mywaynow said:

Just info......IMO......I have used this stuff and it is strong http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_ca_400/overview/Loctite-PL-400-SubFloor-&-Deck-Adhesive.htm. In fact, I used it to glue back one brick that came loose from the edge of my hearth and it has been solid now for many years.

Tfdchief - great, thanks a bunch. I'll try it! Cheers!

NH_Wood, I should have said, PL400 Is available at most lumber, hardware, stores, or as my grandson says "man stores" ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.