Hearth top--seal, enhance or leave bare

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

holg

Feb 4, 2011
northern WI
O.K. My hearth is more or less done. Behind the stove, rock work floor to ceiling (and clearances greater than required).
Hearth surface is bluestone, mortared in place (with R value beneath up to specs).
Bluestone is mortared in place (over layers of Next Generation Durock).
I have yet to seal it.
I am leaning toward "enhancing it" to get a slightly darker hue to the bluestone.

First question. If you don't seal it, do you set yourself up for stains over time?
Second question. If you do seal it or enhance it, is it something you have to do periodically?
Third question. Does the heat from the stove (in my case, a Hearthstone Heritage) do anything to the sealer or enhancer?
Fourth question. From the label and the smell of the stuff in the can, the stuff I was advised to use for an enhancer (Gator Seal by Alliance, Satin Look) seems pretty vile. Anyone have any stuff they have used and like?
Last question: Any issues with combustibility of sealers or enhancers after they have dried?

Thanks

I think you will be fine using a silicone based penetrating sealer - you'd be amazed at how much heat even acrylics and latex based paints and stains can withstand.....

Fire is not really a concern here with a penetrating sealer. The only concern I see if that the wrong sealers (coatings) can discolor or scratch.

You could get fancy and use something like this:
http://www.northlineexpress.com/chi...-chimney-water-repellent-1-gallon-300404.html

But, then again, probably anything similar from the local hardware or paint store will do the job too.

I debated this on my slate hearth when I did it last winter. I didn't use anything for fear of smell and off gassing when it gets hot. Just my $.02.

I sealed my brick paver hearth with satin water based poly applied with a brush. 2 coats. My reasoning was potential moisture from snow covered wood. Not sure if it mattered at all but I just did it because I has the poly available. It did not significantly change the color but with slate I suggest a test on a piece before applying anything.

As far as off gassing or heat effect - NONE.

I went with water based to limit the smell in the house and it worked just fine.

My buddy does tile and he said mineral oil. I tried it and 2 other sealers on a spare piece i have, the sealers changed the color the most! The mineral oil looks like it will never dry but it does and you cant tell you put it on! He did say the more you put on the darker it will get.

I have a slate tile hearth, not bluestone, but I seal mine every year. I've gone back and forth between using the matte and high gloss stone sealant . . . really depends on what you are looking for with the look -- some folks like the wet look, others prefer a natural look.
------------------------

First question. If you don't seal it, do you set yourself up for stains over time? Not sure . . . have always used sealant. I do know that cleaning up soot or ash off the stone and grout is pretty easy.

Second question. If you do seal it or enhance it, is it something you have to do periodically? I do it every Fall . . . not sure if I need to . . . I just do since it is a quick task and is just part of my usual pre-heating season cleaning checklist.

Third question. Does the heat from the stove (in my case, a Hearthstone Heritage) do anything to the sealer or enhancer? Not sure about the Hearthstone, but with the Jotul I have had zero issues.

Fourth question. From the label and the smell of the stuff in the can, the stuff I was advised to use for an enhancer (Gator Seal by Alliance, Satin Look) seems pretty vile. Anyone have any stuff they have used and like? I just use the stone sealant they sell at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Last question: Any issues with combustibility of sealers or enhancers after they have dried? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.