Hearth weight on top of Durock?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

6fthook

Jun 4, 2011
Connecticut
Hello everyone,

I FINALLY started my fireplace project, and just finished framing out the hearth with 6" 16 and 18 gauge steel tracks/studs. It will go over a slab of concrete which I poured the other day after building a wooden form against the chimney.

The buildup of the hearth starting bottom up will be this: concrete, single layer of 1/2" Durock cement board, steel stud framing, 3 or 4 layers of Durock (thinset together and screwed down to the steel frame with no matching seams), then slab of 1.5" thick bluestone (7' x 20" about 250lbs).

Do you think it is ok to put that much weight on three layers of Durock? I just want to make sure they will hold their shape and will not shift over time.

The reason for the 3-4 layers of Durock is for more R-value, but mainly to build it up so the bluestone will match the height of the firebox.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

Durock is cement. I think I would have just did the whole thing in cement.

To answer your question, since it's cement board it will handle any wood stove no problem in many layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.