Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danu

Dec 13, 2006
Looking to install a wood stove, central in a room, i.e., not near any walls. I would like to have a hearthstone of bricks to put the wood stove on, maybe about 8 or 10" high (whatever the measurements work out best with the brick) and whatever the requirements of the stove may be for the width.

Any ideas how to start this project? Can/should it be solid brick or 2x4 or 2x6 frame? Very new to this so all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

- Danu

I would say pick out your stove 1st and see what they state as clearance to combustibles (floor ) is and then decide how to build it. It can vary from stove to stove. However if you make is solid masonry 8-10" and have 6" legs my guess is that it would accommodate most any stove as long as the width and depth are right for that particular stove.

Hi -

Folks will want to know more. What's under the floor? IAt the 30,000' overview level You'll need to avoid any combustable content under the stove. Steel framing under brickfor example. Since I had a basement underneath I had to add support underneath to support the wieght of the stove, hearth, & extension.

Also who's doing the work? Local code types should be able to provide some guidance. All the spec's in the stove manual will need to be adheared to. Different stoves have different requirements.

ATB,
Mike P

Thank you, NHSIF.

I have a stove in mind, a Napoleon steel stove...? I am looking at the model with legs. How do I start building the hearthstone? Should it be solid, what should be under it, should I have a frame and then put the brick on the frame?

Hi, ZZR7ky -

Thanks for the questions. New to this...

The floor is wood, crawl space underneath. The stove is steel so, although I don't have the exact weight, don't think it would be as heavy as a cast iron. It is a relatively small stove - only need to heat up to 1500 sq ft.

The stove will be installed by a contractor who is aware of the codes, etc. I would prefer to have a brick hearth and would like that ready before the stove is delivered.

- Danu

Status
Not open for further replies.